Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May I join the FTTC Trial?

AshleyHinton
Grafter

Re: May I join the FTTC Trial?

I checked today and:
"Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 19.7Mbps and upstream line speed of 7.9Mbps"
Have submitted a support question to ask for the trial Smiley the two new street cabs have been sitting there all shiny for about 6 or more weeks now, both aprox 400 yds from my house if you draw a straight line in either direction.
ADSL 2+ I'm getting 13.9mb / 1.1mb. The exchange is aprox 1.2 miles (of road) from here.
Regards,
Ashley
tomm
Grafter

Quote from: dave
In most cases they are installing new cabinets for FTTC sited next to the existing cabinets. In some cases they can put the new cabinet underground and a few of the existing cabs I think have been big enough to take the new kit as well but the vast majority are new ones next to the existing ones.

For my cabinet, they installed the new cabinet across the road from the original unmoved cabinet next to a large hedge by a field. I've also seen them relocate the original street cabinet a short distance and then install the new cabinet next to it. Openreach do appear, where possible, to try and mininise the visual impact of the new cabs.
Tom.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@AshleyHinton
Let me see what we can do...
Edit: Ordered for the 6th Smiley
AshleyHinton
Grafter

Quote from: Ben
@AshleyHinton
Let me see what we can do...

Ben, thank you!
AshleyHinton
Grafter

Quote from: tomm
Openreach do appear, where possible, to try and mininise the visual impact of the new cabs.
Tom.

Their biggest issue from a visual point of view is that the new cabinets look fresh while the old
cabinets are often rusting, graffitied, and frankly look very old. This is certainly the case where I live.
Once FTTC is rolled out, maybe they should go back and at least paint the old cabinets.
Regards,
Ashley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Or go round painting graffiti on the new ones  Grin
tangey
Grafter

Hi Ben,
Not sure if the following has ANYTHING at all to do with my order for the FTTC trial, (ticket 34710632 set to happen on the 27th of this month), but by chance i just looked at my PN member centre | connection settings | high speed broandband page.  Its telling me my current line speed is 20,000.
Although my exchange has switched to 21CN, I have never  moved onto an ADSL2 package, and so I'm on an up to 8MB line.  Normally I see 6000-6500 for that stat, as my modem syncs around 6900.
Is this change to do with the FTTC trial order, should I be getting CS to look into it, or is it anything to be bothered about ?
Regards
Ian
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We've uncapped the 20,000kbps profile to allow unrestricted speeds (when appropriate, subject to Ellacoya, etc.). When we place your FTTC order we change your profile manually to 20,000kbps Smiley
tangey
Grafter

Just got an email saying :-
"A regrade of this customer's line has not been possible. Please refund the relevant portion of the regrade fee"
Is this just some auto thing happening ?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You can ignore that, it was generated when I changed your 'provisioned product' because your old one (Max) only has access to profiles from 250 to 7150.
tangey
Grafter

cheers
paulshrimpton

Hi,
I have a question logged requesting participation in the FTTC trial, just wanted to check something:
My exchange (Maidenhead) was due for upgrade September 30. According to dslchecker.bt.com, my line now currently supports FTTC. Does that mean I can get on the trial quicker?
Cheers
Paul
AshleyHinton
Grafter

Looks like we are OK for an install on the 6th September  Smiley
Will Openreach and the ISP's move to a self-install model at some point? I guess the problem comes where its a very old master telephone socket and its not just a case of replacing the face plate on the NTE5. Plus you never know what previous occupants have done - in my case when we moved in there was no master, and the extensions were just twisted off from the back of the first socket and insulated with sellotape!
Needless to say there is now a proper master NTE5 directly connected to the cable from outside and the phones & DSL work correctly.
Regards,
Ashley
Pogdin
Dabbler

Hi, i posted a question about joining the trial a couple of days ago, but it said it might not get read for a week or 2, just wondered if it would do any good posting here? Smiley

ID: 34726926
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Pogdin
Welcome to the forums Cheesy Your line looks good so I'll place your order now Smiley
Edit: Booked in for 26th August, 1pm - 6pm.