cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May I join the FTTC Trial?

smithy

Re: May I join the FTTC Trial?

Hello,  I'm posting on behalf of a work college..
He's currently with IDNet who are not partisipating in the FTTP trial but before he moves to Plusnet he would like to know if there are any trial places still available.  He's connected to the BRADWELL ABBEY exchange and lives in Shenley Lodge (MK5 7BZ)
Many thanks
Chris
themorra

Hi folks, BT engineer has setup router this morning and has tested 25mg to the door (which he thinks could go up to 30 med in a week or so once it beds down - which is night & day compared to what I had previously). I am having soem trouble getting my wireless 3COM USB adapter to talk to the new router though.
Anybody able to help with how to make it forget about the old router and see the new one? I'm on Windows XP. The FTTC instructions just tell me that I should check it's working first befeore logging onto the router.....HELP  Smiley
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Chris - There's still trial places available, we've not set an upper limit on how many places are available yet. That postcode is in the trial area so as long as he's not in a block of flats or offices he should be able to take part in the trial. He'd need to sign up as normal then request to go on the trial afterwards (easiest way is to call our sales team then ask them to speak to me once he's signed up and I can send out an invite).
themorra - Does the adapter have it's own wireless configuration utility or is it using the Windows utility? If it's Windows then you should just be able to open the wireless utility and when it scans for networks just choose the Netgear. If you  uses its own software then there will likely be an advanced option with a list of preferred networks, you should just need to remove the old one then rescan (that's how my Belkin card works).
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
digital
Grafter

Just to say that if anyone's hesitating about joining, don't. The BT installation was quick and trouble-free and I'm getting downloads in the mid 20Mbs.
The only issue I have is the remote desktop connection to my Windows home server from my Windows 7 desktop is broken. It looks like something in the Netgear router configuration but I just can't find it.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Can each machine ping the other?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
digital
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Can each machine ping the other?

Yes, I can ping the server from my Windows 7 desktop and ping the Windows 7 desktop from the server using a remote desktop connection from my XP laptop.
The problem seems to be with the software on the Windows 7 box that no longer has the configuration required to negotiate with the server through the router, ie connections between my laptop and netbook with the server have remained intact. The Windows 7 desktop was the 'primary' connection on which the server was first set up.
digital
Grafter

We're probably getting off-topic here but I've solved the problem (after several hours).
I tried pinging the server as you suggested earlier using 192.168.1.50, the static address I had given it and got a response. However, just now, I thought I would ping it with its name. The response came back as 'Destination unreachable' but within the response was '[192.168.1.120]'. Looks like I mis-remembered the static address I had given it originally! But how poor that the software couldn't adapt to accept such a change...
Anyway, thanks for the prod in the right direction, and I hope this is useful to anyone else who might have the same problem when they have FTTC installed (just write down any fixed addresses before you do anything!).
OldCoggers
Grafter

Hi,
I too have just raised a ticket asking to be put on the trial (36592934 ). I've supplies some dates in week commencing 15th Nov, but can do earlier if available.
Cheers
Old Coggers
garnet56

I have just raised a ticket to join the fibre trials. Ticket number 36606714.
I assume that Plusnet will supply a router as mine is very old and not of the required spec.
I have never had a modem or router from plusnet as I had one when I joined in 2003.
Cloudlea
ericparker

Just to let you know the changeover went smoothly at the appointed time.
Phone call to say BT would be there in 25 minutes or so.
10 minutes later my internet disappeared.
10 minutes later the BT man arrived.
It then took around 15 - 20 minutes and I was back online.
I don't appear to get the same wireless signal strength as I did with my DG834GT (ex SKY) kit, but early days yet.
Whoosh.
Eric
jonould

Dave,
I've just raised a ticket number 36703126. Please use the mobile number in that ticket to contact me.
I can be availiable most m ornings if the window slips beyond the 2 weeks I've already detailed.
I have an existing Netgear DG834N if that will work.
Cheers
Jon
Chriz
Dabbler

Hello Dave,
I just raised a query 36793761, to get into the fttc trials. Apparently my cabinet has been done. I look forward to this, as adsl has never worked in my house as I am too far from the exchange. I hope the fibre optic works.
Have I raised the correct number? Is there anything else I need to do?
Chris
jonould

Dave,
In my enthusiasm to a gree to new install date I accidentally closed my original question. It's now moved to 36822770.
Thanks, Jon
dzxl92
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Hi,
I've been onto the BT Wholesale ADSL Checker and it says "Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 32.5Mbps and upstream line speed of 7.8Mbps."
Does that mean I can get FFTC?  If so, do I just have to raise a ticket to get it?  I understand the T&Cs
Many thanks,
Dave
Picnic
Grafter

That's what I believe the process to be, however I submitted ticket 37020025 on Saturday but as yet it's all been deadly quiet Sad