cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master or hard wired extension.

putbinoot

Master or hard wired extension.

Maybe I am bit dim but can the modem be connected to a hardwired extension as mine and the computer and the current adsl modem is upstairs on this hardwired extension, reading your faq does not make it clear. Forget about the 30m data extension as my hardwired extension is the same as the master with inbuilt telephone and adsl splitter just like a bt master socket can the new socket be fitted to it.
24. Can the modem only be installed in the master socket?
No, the engineer will either install the modem in the master socket or if this isn’t convenient or near a power socket they will install a data extension kit up to 30m from the master socket.
The above seems to emply that it still needs to be connected to the master but then you can have it physically moved up to 30m away on this extension, if it can run on copper wires up to the house surely it can manage another 10m on the extension if it's because the master socket needs to have certain control circuits in it can the new face plate that would be fitted to the master also be fitted to the extension giving the correct but unused circuits at the master with the correct and used circuits on the extension. Hope this is not to long winded and you have not fallen asleep. thanks for your time.
4 REPLIES 4
bluewhale
Rising Star

Re: Master or hard wired extension.

hi,
i had a similar setup i think. i had a master socket with 1 single extension out of it at the end of which i ha d my PC and phone connected to the extension socket.
so what i had done when the engineer came ( and it's at their discretion so maybe have tea and choccy biscuits on hand )
he kindly converted the master socket into just a junction box and put the new master socket on the end of my extension, note my extension was a properly wired one using twisted pair and not a cheapo extension ( although i did it myself )
so now have master socket in living room and pc ( via their modem ) /phone directly into it
otherwise would have ended up with 2 seperate extension line going through , so it can be done but will depend on the engineer/state of your existing wiring
does that help?
bluewhale
Rising Star

also note that the new master socket replaces your old one and is a lot deeper, sticks out quite a bit from the wall
i believe their data extension would still go into the new style master socket and is just in effect an ethernet type line
ChrisF

Hi,
I am running FTTC from a BT Extension kit, from my new VDSL wallplate that BT install for you, using 15m of CAT5e at the end of the extension is a BT socket with RJ-11. When tested by the engineer i was loosing so little i kept it how it was and so far no issues.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

It's probably best to discuss exactly what you want with the engineer on the day. Generally you have the following options
1. BT modem connected to the existing master socket with new faceplate
2. BT modem connected to a new BT extension socket (faceplate is changed)
3. BT modem connected to a new master socket, sometimes they can move the master to an existing extension socket or they need to do this if you don't have a master socket already
You won't be able to connect the BT modem to an existing extension socket as it won't have the correct connector on it (you can't use filters) and the can only put the new faceplate on the master. You could put the BT modem in the master socket then run an ethernet cable to where the router is, they don't have to sit next to each other.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology