cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MK FTTP slowdowns

keeps54
Grafter

MK FTTP slowdowns

Has anyone else noticed their FTTP slowing down after being connected for a while? I'm on the trial getting 100/15 and if I try a speed test from a hard wired PC I get about 92MB which is great. However if the router and ONT have been powered up for a while I notice when performing an iPlayer download on an iPhone that it just seems to go slow. A one hour program (640MB-ish) can take ages to download.
If I reboot the router and ONT and restart the download it will complete in about 7-8 minutes.
9 REPLIES 9
AndyH
Grafter

Re: MK FTTP slowdowns

Which router are you using? Do you notice the slow downs at a particular time of day or anytime?
I've noticed some slow downloads on iPlayer through my Sky box, but when I did a speedtest.net test it came back at normal line speed.
My ONT hasn't been rebooted for a good six months (but it has probably been reset due to BTw exchange work etc.)
As for my router:  Uptime 12 days 4 hours 32 minutes 24 seconds
keeps54
Grafter

Hi Andy,
I've got the Plusnet issued Netgear WNR3500v2.
The slow downloads are usually late evening and as I said before, if I reboot the router and ONT they instantly speed up dramatically.
Cheers, Paul
AndyH
Grafter

I think it's best to raise it as a fault.
Does rebooting just the router improve things or do you also have to reboot the ONT to see an improvement?
keeps54
Grafter

I'll have to try just the router again. I got into the habit of rebooting both as the router seemed to have difficulty reconnecting when I just rebooted that.
Cheers, Paul
AndyH
Grafter

Is the problem still occurring?
It might be worth setting up a TBB Graph (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping) to monitor your line. The only issue is if you have a dynamic IP, you would need to create a new graph every time you disconnect/reconnect.
keeps54
Grafter

Hi Andy,
It is still doing it and I've determined rebooting just the router works as well.
I'm going to set up a thinkbroadband monitor from the link you sent but it will have to wait until I get home. I was just in the process of setting it up and realised I had ping response blocked on my router. I've got a fixed IP so no problem there.
Cheers, Paul
AndyH
Grafter

Hi Paul
I reckon it might be something to do with your router. Have you tried updating to the latest firmware (if there is an update)?
Another thing you could do is sign up for a free SamKnows Whitebox (https://www.samknows.eu/). This is basically a router that runs various tests throughout the day and allows you to view the results via an online portal. It's pretty comprehensive and has the advantage of running a lot more tests than just download/upload speeds. As it randomly runs the tests throughout the day, you can pinpoint any specific timing of issues.
keeps54
Grafter

Thanks Andy,
More options to consider. I don't think there is an update to my router at least there wasn't the last time I checked a few months ago. However, as I've just posted on the other thread about issues ion MK this weekend....
'When I got home last night I did a iPlayer download of a 1 hour program to my phone and to my surprise despite my router having been running for days the download took just a few minutes. Whether this is because something has changed on the network or whether the ping graph I set up is somehow keeping my link to the network routed well I don't know.'
AndyH
Grafter

Yeah it would seem that your problems are related to those on the other thread.
Bit of a strange one though...not quite sure where the problem might be and why only certain areas of MK are/were affected.
It seems to be back to normal for you now though, so maybe there was some config problem or something needed to be rebooted?