Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live FTTP speed issues

PDT
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Live FTTP speed issues

I’m live on a FTTP connection however my download speed is considerably less than what I’m expecting.

I’m on the 76/20 tariff and whilst my upload is always on point, download is less than half of what it should be (images attached).
Rebooting the router temporarily resolves the speed issue but then it reoccurs again, so I believe there is an issue somewhere.

All speed tests are on Wi-Fi and yes I understand the limitations of Wi-Fi, however I’m stood next to the router and there are no other active connections. I’d accept a few mbs as a WiFi consequence, but not this amount.

Any help would be appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Live FTTP speed issues

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing speed problems.

Due to way WiFi works there are numerous environmental factors which can affect wireless signal. I've personally seen wireless speeds drop from 80mbps down to 1mbps in the same room as the router.

Do you experience the same problems using a wired connection? This will help narrow down where the problem lies. If your speed is OK that way, then it's likely the issue lies with the wireless signal and further help can be found here.

If you're still having problems using a wired connection, can you run a BT speedtest at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com using a wired connection, completing the further diagnostics at the end?

This will store the result on the supplier system and will help us in reporting a fault to our suppliers.

Thanks.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PDT
Grafter

Hi.
Thanks for the info and suggestions.

I’ve tried completing further diagnostics, but BT cannot find a FTTP service to my property! I’ve attached an image of this error message.

Any ideas?!!
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

That’s likely because you’ll need to enter the Wholesale ID for your circuit (Known as the BBEU). I can find it out tomorrow for you, but in the meantime what are your speeds like using a wired connection when you run a test at www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest?
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
PDT
Grafter

Looking good now.  

Download: 72.5mbps//burst 76mbps//tbbx 52.0 mbps

Upload: 21.1mbps//burst 22.4mbps

Its almost as though the connection is throttled at certain times.  Do you use traffic management own FTTP lines?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

No we don’t throttle your speeds or have
traffic management.

Do you notice the speed drops on a wired connection with WiFi switched off?
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
PDT
Grafter

Attached speed test results from thinkbroadband.com

Wifi is off and I've connected a laptop directly to the router.  Line appears to have lots of peaks and troughs - and the latency is far bigger than what I'd expect (my old ASDL2 connection gave me a ping of 15ms).

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for this.

I'm noticing a high amount of usage going through your connection yesterday. Do you see slow speeds with no open programs on your laptop and no other devices connected to your router?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PDT
Grafter

Hi
At the time I ran the Speedtest, there were no other devices connected. Usage yesterday was 3 x HD films downloaded plus standard browsing.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Our tests aren't showing any congestion issues at your exchange either.

Were your films being downloaded whilst you were running the test?

Also do you experience the the same slow speeds using a different device?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PDT
Grafter

Apologies for the delay in responding.

No, the films were not being downloaded at the same time. There were no other connections that could have been affecting the test.

No matter which device I use, they all give largely the same result.  Wifi is awful so sticking to wired.  Struggle to get anything over 60mbps down - however bizarrely my upload is nearly always bang on 20mbps.

I was expecting a big changefrom my 15mbps ADSL2 connection, but if I'm being really honest (and unless I'm watching a file download) I'm not really seeing any difference.