Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Rental - cancel line

jimscott
Grafter

Line Rental - cancel line

Hi,

Apologies I know this has come up loads. Now that we have FTTP (and it is working great) we would like to cancel our copper phone line as we don't need it any more. I have tried to speaking with PlusNet customer service ticket #173402715 and I am told I cannot cancel the line as I need the line. Please can someone on here advise...

Also does PlusNet do any kind of VoIP or phone service over FTTP? We are happy to loose the phone altogether and just keep broadband if not.

cheers

James

6 REPLIES 6
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Line Rental - cancel line

Because FTTP is still a trial, customer services are not trained to deal with it.

This needs input from a forum staff member who is familiar with FTTP.

Hopefully one will see this thread.

@Gandalf?

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@jimscott wrote:

Also does PlusNet do any kind of VoIP or phone service over FTTP? We are happy to loose the phone altogether and just keep broadband if not.

No, PN don't do a VoIP or FVA via FTTP (they used to offer a VoIP service but that was closed several years ago).  There's obviously nothing to stop you using third-party VoIP services though, and if you want to keep your existing landline number it could be ported to a VoIP provider before ceasing your landline for a small on-going monthly charge (I believe the lowest is about £2 pm).

Porting your landline number to VoIP would automatically cease your  copper line, which under normal circumstances could cause your PN account to close and therefore cease your FTTP service, so it's advisable to keep someone from PN such as @Gandalf notified of your intentions in this thread.

jimscott
Grafter

Thanks for the replies. I will probably just cancel the landline and number for now and see if we miss having it before I look at VoIP etc.

If anyone from PlusNet can move this forward it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

There are not that many PlusNet staff trained on FTTP so you just have to wait until one picks this up.

If you cancel the line you lose your phone number if that matters.

There is also a £2.50 surcharge for Internet only - which is far cheaper than paying for a phone line you don't use!!!

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi James.

Apologies for the response you got from our support team, I've passed feedback on internally.

I've raised ticket 173456343 on your account. If you would like to go ahead still, please let us know over there.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jimscott
Grafter

Thanks @Gandalf. I have updated the ticket.