cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest on FTTP?

LittleDJ1706

Re: Latest on FTTP?

We're in that rubbish position where Plusnet has been great but we're moving to a new build with FTTP only in Feb so unless there is confirmation that FTTP is coming by then we'll have no choice but to end our contract and go with someone else.  Annoyingly it also means i'm held over a barrel for the second time for a termination fee due to 6 months remaining on our contract at that point (as we didn't know this would be an issue when we renewed) due to an ISP's failure to be able to move my service with me.

Given that Plusnet is owned by BT it makes zero sense that they're not taking the opportunity to take the lions share of the market via BT and Plusnet together so I don't understand their reluctance to roll it out when pretty much every new build estate currently under construction is being built with FTTP instead of FTTC.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@LittleDJ1706 

If you apply a bit of forward planning as you get closer to the time of your house move and migrate to BT (who may well be offering one of the most competitive deals for FTTP anyway), you could take advantage of BTs offer to compensate new customers for any early termination fees imposed by the losing ISP.  Whether migration would be best just before that date or at the actual time of the move may need investigating.

dgp
Rising Star

They’ve just made my street live for FTTP and BT are offering me Full Fibre 100 for £34.99 a month. That’s more than twice the speed I’m getting with FTTC for £7 more than I’m paying Plusnet, so not too bad a deal. Plusnet are offering a renewal at £31.75, so there’s not much of a contest at the moment. My preference would be to stay with Plusnet, they’ve got until March to start delivering FTTP.

Alex
Community Veteran

Yep I do think PlusNet should get a move on and offer it. Fair enough, I know about IT and rolling systems out.

You don't exactly need to have gotten a Business Studies degree to understand it is not going to be a five minute job.

However the longer they leave it, the worse it'll get (when their competitors are now already overtaking them as we've currently seeing).

PlusNet's stance of "We don't offer it, maybe we will within your life expetency. Don't call us, we'll call you" means they will lose customers.

If it is something you want to do, you will find a solution. If it isn't, then any problem will be enough to stop it.

As somebody once said. 🙄

LittleDJ1706

This would be my ideal however I currently live in the [-Censored-] end of nowhere where FTTC is the only option, would have to discuss with them on whether we could upgrade to FTTP when we move.

I think our preference is currently with BT, it all just seems a little mental given that BT own plusnet so they have all the tech currently available to set up and to provide it within the parent company, they just choose not to do it under that brand name.
dgp
Rising Star

Interestingly EE also owned by BT and also offering broadband seems to have taken to offering BT broadband from their website. Perhaps this is the writing on the wall for Plusnet and FTTP.

Tyranade
Dabbler

I'm in the same position where FTTP just been rolled out in our village. I'll be gutted if I have to leave PlusNet. They've been the best provide we've had here. My contract ends next year and fingers crossed we have FTTP by then. EE is saying that they or BT will buy any contract out that have less than 5 months left.

donka
Grafter

Finally got my FTTP up and running from Talktalk on Friday. Didn’t want to leave Plusnet but this year has shown to be a good time to upgrade. 

Timalay
Grafter

Such a shame Plusnet aren't still offering FTTP package.  Got a company (County Broadband) rolling out full fibre broadband in my town.

leehowarth
Grafter

I can't see them offering new fttp any time soon. BT offer the premium product, EE offer the mid range product with no phone line and then Plusnet offer the budget product. That is how BT have full market coverage. I know people are leaving when their streets are being cabled but there will be many people still joining Plusnet on a fttc offering.
I've had Plusnet fttp for a few years now and I'm in no rush to leave, 80Mbps is plenty fast enough, although Black Friday did see some very attractive offering from BT. I might be tempted next year.
dgp
Rising Star

Now got Virgin Media digging up the road and installing cabinets. Go live apparently end Feb/early March. Only advantage I can see is it gives BT some competition which might drive price down. Ties in nicely with the end of my Plusnet contract tho’ 🙂

Alex
Community Veteran

Hate to break the bad news to you, but competition in the cable market doesn't exist.

Wholly owned by Branson Media.

The monopolies and mergers commission must have taken some long lunches and a nice backhander from Richard too when they allowed that.

Timalay
Grafter

Clearly not becoming the case any more.  You've got countless other isp's rolling out full fttp to peoples houses.

dgp
Rising Star

That’s the case with me. Openreach FTTP went live last month, Virgin goes live end of Feb. 

PeterPan
Grafter

@Alex wrote:

Hate to break the bad news to you, but competition in the cable market doesn't exist.

Wholly owned by Branson Media.

The monopolies and mergers commission must have taken some long lunches and a nice backhander from Richard too when they allowed that.

I hate to argue, but we now have CityFibre installed in our street (in Milton Keynes) and Vodafone are offering FTTP over that infrastructure.  I dont THINK either are owned by Branson Media