Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining the trial

FIXED
evrideruk
Hooked

Re: Joining the trial

hi @BasilBrush

attached is a very (very) nice screenshot of the BT DSL Checker showing my address now has FTTP at 330mb available! Can I choose plusnet to be my provider? I currently am using mobile broadband and don't have any fixed line installed here but happy to have it if it means I can go ahead with fttp. See attached image
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

The FTTP shown in the screenshot is Fibre to the Premises on demand.

This is not the same as the FTTP product offered on the Plusnet trial and is not available from Plusnet.

It is also a very expensive service.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
evrideruk
Hooked

thanks for the clarification .
how disappointing! once a property goes live with fttp "on demand", i.e: the expensive type via bt etc, can subsequent orders/migrations on that line be of the regular/plusnet type of fttp?
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@evrideruk

FTTPoD has a 3 YEAR minimum term contract on whatever price terms the ISP offers you. (BT Business do FTTPoD and the costs are not cheap). There is also a normally several thousand pounds installation cost to pay as it is based on, among other things, distance from the FTTPoD distribution point. You have to pay the full install costs unlike WBC FTTP which is massively subsidised by Openreach.

After the 3 years, the price for FTTPoD drops to the normal WBC FTTP (at least with BT Business) but no idea about the cost implications of migration to a new supplier afterwards.

WBC FTTP (the type of FTTP that Plusnet trial) is not switchable in the normal sense of the word. You have to cease the service and then the new supplier activates it again. It is outside of OFCOM switch rules currently.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@evrideruk

I suggest you ask BT for a quote for FTTPoD, then, after you have been released form hospital following your heart attack...

Seriously, looking at you FTTC estimates I can see why you would be interested in FTTPoD - but before you ask BT a ballpark guess at the cost would be £1,000 to £2,000 for the installation depending on the distance to the fibre node plus £1,000/year ongoing.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
evrideruk
Hooked

my cab pcp1 is about 500yds from the house. I have a orange telecoms duct running to the house from the BT chamber at the corner of my road, which contains a thick black wire, with a bundle of at least 4 copper pairs inside it, and a separate thick "CATV" marked coax cable which terminates to a silver "lightning arrestor" marked "BT Cable". (if you don't believe me, see this: http://bit.ly/2oN7FCL )

non subscribers:
NTL picks up two BT cable franchises

23 JULY, 1999

NTL has taken control of another two cable TV franchises, including the influential Westminster franchise, following the conclusion of a deal with BT, writes Alice Macandrew.
The cable TV company announced that

NTL has taken control of another two cable TV franchises, including the influential Westminster franchise, following the conclusion of a deal with BT, writes Alice Macandrew.
The cable TV company announced that it had acquired the Westminster and Milton Keynes franchises from BT on Monday (19 July), giving it access to around 211,000 extra homes.

Under the terms of the deal, NTL has acquired the right to operate a full range of cable services over the former BT networks, which it will operate under a 99-year lease.

NTL expected to invest around£15 million to upgrade the networks for digital cable TV and interactive services. In addition, it will pay BT£5 million up front for the franchises and a further£14 million on completion of the network upgrades, along with an annual lease payment of£3.9 million.

The two franchises have been up for sale for the past six months after BT was forced to dispose of them in return for the European Commission allowing the telecoms giant's involvement in British Interactive Broadcasting (Broadcast, 8.1.99).

Meanwhile, NTL has unveiled a new pricing structure for its cable TV service to pave the way for the introduction of its first digital services in September (Broadcast, 11.6.99).

The new structure, which comes into effect on 2 August, is designed to encourage customers to buy extra channels beyond the basic entry-level package.
evrideruk
Hooked

oh and this orange duct still has plenty of space inside to fit more cables if only plusnet could take advantage possibly?
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Not sure what this orange duct has to do with FTTPoD, the fibre doesn't go to the cabinet but to the nearest Fibre node which may or may not be near the cabinet.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@evrideruk I'm not sure what you are trying to convince people of but linking to a site headed "SUBSCRIBERS ONLY" doesn't help.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@evrideruk

I'm not sure what your motive is in continuing to post to this topic.

• It's been pointed out that FTTP (which Plusnet do) is not available, only FTTPoD.
  • You've been told Plusnet do not do FTTPoD.
  • You've been told FTTPoD costs an arm and a leg.
  • It's been pointed out that the distance to the cab is not relevant as the FTTPoD had to connect to a fibre node - as you don't know where the fibre node is there's no way you can know the state of all the ducts.

You may not like the answers, but no matter how many times you post the answers you get on here and from Plusnet themselves won't change.

If you don't believe what we are saying and want a definitive answer, ask an ISP that does do FTTPoD (e.g. BT) for a quote.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@evrideruk  Further to what others have advised, this thread might convince you that no one's trying to kid you.

evrideruk
Hooked

keep your hair on guys and gals. i was just trying to add some interesting geeky info - that's what I meant when I said "if you don't believe me" in relation to the orange duct. I think mk and Westminster are the only places in the country with such legacy Infrastructure going back to the days of the BT Cable franchises. yes really. Geek bit over. I'LL leave you all in peace. and I'll never mention FOD again. bye
evrideruk
Hooked

can i take this opportunity to thank everyone for the answers provided. they were very helpful. I hope I've been been able to add something useful too (however random it may have sounded). thanks all.
Teece
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

@BasilBrush Hi Mark - just wondering if there was any news?  The ticket was due for an update on the 3rd, I think?

Cheers,

Chris

Teece
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

@BasilBrush - hello Mark, another nudge - a week overdue now?