cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with my FTTC Trial

jetplan

Issues with my FTTC Trial

Message for Dave - apologies if this is not the correct method for notifying issues.
I've been on the trial for a few months now and overall I am very pleased with it.
I do however get some issues with performance.
Example 1.
Last night 20/12/2010 at about 11pm I tried to watch some Iplayer on my Ipod Touch and it constantly bufferred.  This happens fairly regularly.
Example 2
Watching Iplayer via the internet@tv function on my Samsung TV.  Frequently if I watch a program in HD it will keep stopping due to buffering - this is especially the case in the evening. Watching in SD very rarely has any issues.
Example 3
Watching Muzutv music videos again on the internet@tv function on my Samsung TV will frequently cause buffering (again usually in the evening).
I'm not sure if this is a throttling issue (perhaps related to the Plusnet product I have) but I would appreciate any feedback you have regarding what might be causing this.
Regards
5 REPLIES 5
jamescarlin

Re: Issues with my FTTC Trial

Hi Jetplan,
I've seen similar issues, but tends to be when I'm using a wireless connection when the PC's further away from the wireless router...  I've not seen buffering issues on a wired connection, or when I've got a 'strong' wireless connection.  I'm not familiar with Samsung Internet TV, but might be something similar if you're using a wireless dongle with it rather than a wired connection?
Cheers,
James
jetplan

Thanks for the reply James.
I'm pretty sure it's the broadband that is the issue.
My TV is connented to the router via ethernet cable (via power line adapters). I never have any problems streaming HD movies from my NAS drive to the TV and these are large files and are delivered over ethernet so I think my LAN is good.
Cheers,
Sean.
JasonE
Grafter

What accounts you guys have ?
 Plusnet, as Im sure others too, limit the bandwidth on certain activity, example even though my connection speed is
38mbps my connection to the PSN servers is limited to 2mbps on a value account.
I have recently upgraded to a Extra account hand have seen much better speeds to these kind of things.
Connections to iPlayer , youtube , gaming servers etc etc etc are all affected by this.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
jetplan

I was wondering if it might be my package but I'm also on a Plusnet Extra package and the table indicates I should be getting "line speed" for streaming.
My linespeed is 37Mb so I would hope this was enough to stream BBC Iplayer in HD. 
Thanks,
Sean.
JasonE
Grafter

Even with my 38mbps I have never been able to stream BBC HD content to a 'watchable' level.  Cry