cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it just me who gets really variable d/l speeds?

willm888
Dabbler

Is it just me who gets really variable d/l speeds?

Last night
Cheesy
Just now
Huh
I have changed nothing in between (tried restart of router and modem results the same each time)
BT beta speed test reports corresponding results so don't think its a speedtest.net issue (same on different servers too)
Seem to get the same with either the TG582 or the netgear WNR1000
BT profile consistently at max 77.43 down and 20 up, I'm less than 200m from the cabinet via the cable route (<100m a.t.c.f.)
Any ideas (please don't mis-understand, I'm very happy with the fttc speeds in general but if this is normal then I dont think i'd pay extra for the 80meg down service since the download rate is only above 40 about half the time.  I would pay extra for an additional upload speed though...)
4 REPLIES 4
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: Is it just me who gets really variable d/l speeds?

I've seen behaviour like this,  and from what I can tell it's usually related to the Plusnet gateway you're on and the load it's under..
The gateway checker will tell you your current gateway.
Logging into the router and disconnecting then reconnecting (or a power cycle) usually changes you to a different gateway.
Interestingly, you appear to have moved 100 miles closer to Milton Keynes between checks!    Shocked
willm888
Dabbler

Thanks for the info, checked the gateway and will keep a track to see if different ones correlate to fluctuating speeds...
Quote from: kmilburn
Interestingly, you appear to have moved 100 miles closer to Milton Keynes between checks!    Shocked

Interesting indeed, presumably something to do with routing..
I have just retested and, although the speeds have increased I'm still ~50miles to MK  Wink  Actually I'm about 15miles away which may explain the low pings!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Logically you are in east London since that is where the Plusnet gateways are located. When you "moved" 100 miles had you changed your IP address?
David
willm888
Dabbler

Quote from: spraxyt
When you "moved" 100 miles had you changed your IP address?

Not sure, I havent got a static IP so could very well have changed in the interim...