cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation Options (Cabling and Location)

Discord
Grafter

Installation Options (Cabling and Location)

Ok.. cabinet is now enabled ... whooopppieee !!
Need some advice on my installation.  Current set up:
Master Socket in lounge.  Router next to master socket.  PC in office.  Connects wirelessly.  Generally no issues with wireless.  Current speed is c2mb.  PC primary use = gaming.
As I understand things, engineer will install a modem at the master socket which then connects by cable to a new router.  Seems like I'll therefore have two 'boxes' next to the master socket if I still want to connect by wireless. 
Q1:  Is wireless for fibre ok?  Can never get my head round massive chunks of data passing through empty space!
Q2: Should I really think about running a data cable (which sort??) so I can locate the router in the office?  Not as easy as it sounds.  Office and lounge are next door to each other but the cable will somehow need to pass along a wall with a fireplace.  Hmm
Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
phil4
Grafter

Re: Installation Options (Cabling and Location)

Q1 - Yes, but its possible (well, likely), that you'll never make the most of the increassed speed.  If however, you've been limited to 1Mbps broadband until now because of distance from the exchange, you'll still see a nice speed increase even using wifi.    The better  your wifi, both type and signal strength, the faster it will go.  N is better than G, and if you can find a setup that support 5Ghz as well as 2.4Ghz then potentially you could get upto 300Mbps, which is far in excess of the Fibre speed.  That said, wifi is prone to all sorts of interference drop outs etc, that while not harming a normal surfing experience, may make speed tests look a bit slow.
Q2 - Its the best way of getting a fast, stable and reliable connection.  Wifi is pretty good most of the time, but in my experience it still doesn't match the consistent speed of a cable run. 
As the BT engineer will fit the same equipment in the same place regardless of 1 or 2 above, why not have him fit it, and see how it goes.... you can always run a CAT5e cable afterwards.
Discord
Grafter

Re: Installation Options (Cabling and Location)

Thanks for that Phil.
Where'd I put my drill...