Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP profile

YBH
Dabbler

IP profile

any reason why my IP profile would be 
as below?
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
20249 Kbps

0 Kbps 25859 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
> Download speedachieved during the test was - 20249 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-25859 Kbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is -25859 Kbps
4 REPLIES 4
mikecrawford71
Dabbler

Re: IP profile

I've been stuck 5-6 Mbps slower than my IP profile for over a week now too (I've been doing regular tests on BT, ThinkBroadband, speedtest and Plusnets own testers). I'm on value with pro add-on, so should not be a problem there. Wireshark traces show no issues with traffic prioritisation. Line speed value in Member Centre is set to 37 Mb.
seanjudge
Dabbler

Thanks for getting in touch you guys. @ YBH, As with ADSL your Fibre speed profile will update dependant on conditions and we don't really get a reason for changes up or down. This should go up again at some point and will again potential go down but should only really be by small amounts should there not be a massive underlying issue.
I have however tested your line to check for any underlying issues and since your profile has update to 20M-40M Downstream, Interleaving High - 5M-10M Upstream so all should now be back to normal and I can confirm our profile match also. I hope this answers your questions !  Smiley
@mikecrawford71, I have looked at your previous ticket and I understand you are losing 5 - 6mb throughput from your profile. This is most likely due to a couple of things like wireless and capacity issues and so on. As explained on the fault your line is actually performing at 3 times more than your estimated speed of 11600 kbps and issues in your area with throughput can sometimes be factored in to your estimates.
The profile of 37mb is a default we use for fibre lines at the moment so does not confirm the actual line rate but we hope for this to be in place in the near future. Again I hope this helps you also if you do have any questions don't hesitate to let us know  Wink
mikecrawford71
Dabbler

Sean,
Thanks for the reply and to comment on it;
1. None of my speed tests are wireless
2. Capacity, so that could be either Plusnet (Access Gateways? Bandwidth?) or BT (Exchange / FTTC cab / crosstalk?), as commented, I've been trying lots of tests from various testers and at varying times of day and night.
3. My estimate was exactly that, and if I had the time I could provide links to many a forum post (on the Plusnet and Thinkbroadband forums) where peoples actual IP profile is several times more that what their estimate was, and there is a general belief that the estimates were very conservative (may be based on a %age used of the ports in the FTTC cab (crosstalk again?)) and it's never been made clear how that estimate was calculated - i.e. was every line from a PCP tested for distance? Or is it loosely based on postcode where line distance from the PCP could differ by several hundred metres???
seanjudge
Dabbler

@ mikecrawford71, Thanks for getting back to us.
When I refer to capacity this will be the BT capacity management from people connected to the same virtual path as your self and your throughput will always vary.
Your estimate is mostly based on distance and what is called attenuation which is a combination of length and quality of the line. In some areas if capacity issues are known estimates can purposely be set low to set expectations correctly which is what I expect has happened in this case to ensure you are not being misled to believe your line can get more.
I hope this helps, Again any questions give us a shout any time.
Thanks,  Smiley