Did you mean: 

I'm about to go

FIXED
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: I'm about to go

@Sidthree wrote:

I ordered FTTP. To do so I have had to buy the Fibre Unlimited package (FTTC); with my cabinet almost 2 miles away I am getting virtually the same transfer as before.

When you get FTTP installed the distance to the cabinet doesn't matter as your internet service isn't routed through it.

You should get near full speed on FTTP - I'm on the "Up to 38" package and get consistently 36/37 on speed checks (with the occasional blip).

Brian

krusty
Rising Star

As far as i was aware you could have stayed on pn adsl and you could have signed up for fttp.

As i said already moving to fttp, can be a lengthy process and sometimes not without extra cost. Blasting that you are gonna somewhere else will incure exist charges from your fttc account with pn and then the extra time to go onto say bt infinity 4...

And getting open reach fibre (fttp) will be in the same time frame as any other provider ..

bmc
Hero

@Sidthree

When you sign up for the FTTP a support "Ticket" is created. You can view these in the PlusNet Members Centre when logged in.

The ticket should be available in "View My Questions" under Help & Support.

What is the latest status shown on the Ticket.

Brian

Sidthree
Dabbler

Hi Brian,

I've just checked under help and support and, according to a message received this afternoon, I have an engineer coming tomorrow between 8 and 1!

So that is good news.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks all for putting up with my rants but you know how it is.......

bmc
Hero

@Sidthree

Just to state the obvious - you need to be in when they call!!!

If you're the second job of the day it'll be nearer one o'clock. However they should phone to say they're on there way.

The work involves brining a fibre cable into your house - it you're lucky they'll be able to use the existing phone point. If not, they'll drill a hole.

An Optical Network Terminator (ONT) needs to be fixed to a wall (usually where the fibre cable comes in) near a power source.

Brian

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I've just checked under help and support and, according to a message received this afternoon, I have an engineer coming tomorrow between 8 and 1!

Apologies for the real short notice on that. Hopefully the appointment goes well today.

We've not had any further updates through on the order yet (But this also means we've not had any delay notifications so hopefully all is still going as planned)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Sidthree
Dabbler

Yes, it all went well and there were no problems. The engineer told me that PN 'choke' the line to 2mbps d/l, which I hope will be cleared soon. Apparently I have 30/10 line so I look forward to being able to have more than two web pages open and browsing speeds something above glacial.

Interestingly I am getting 0.2 dl and .27u/l.

Sidthree
Dabbler

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the 'heads up', everything went smoothly. The pole is outside the house and they were able to use existing points.

I am now waiting on the line being freed to its potential by PN.

bmc
Hero

@Sidthree

Glad to hear everything went well.

PlusNet don't "choke" your line as such - you should still be on your ADSL service. What happens is because FTTP is a trial it's not integrated with their back office systems so someone has to manually change over your service at their end once they know the installation is complete.

It'll be picked up by tomorrow I'd expect (if it's not spotted tonight). As ever, it depends on an FTTP trained staff member being available.

Brian

Edit : Forgot to add that I believe a router re-boot is usually required after PlusNet have done their thing.

Sidthree
Dabbler

Ah, ok, that makes sense. thanks Brian.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fix

Hi @Sidthree,

If you could reboot the router, I believe you should now be getting the higher speeds.

As it currently stands, the order itself hasn't actually closed off as complete, however I see the engineer notes state he contacted us and said he would close the job off as we advised him that it'll be the account on our side causing the download speeds to have remained down at around 2Mbps on his tests.

We'll keep an eye on that and chase it up tomorrow if it's still not closed as complete.

I hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Sidthree
Dabbler

Hi Harry,

I've rebooted the router and............

Hey presto! virtually 40/10

Thank you for that. I can now take everything back and say 'You've Done Me Proud'

Thank you Brian and to everyone else that has helped.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Glad to hear that @Sidthree!

Thanks for letting us know.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Sidthree
Dabbler

One final thing you could, perhaps, help with;

Prior to the arrival of the PN router, I had to purchase my own (Archer VR600) which worked fine. Since the arrival of FTTP and the VDSL box etc, the Archer won't connect to the internet.

I have reset the Archer to factory settings and followed the instructions but I cannot get it to connect. What am I missing here?

Many thanks in advance.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

How are you connecting the Archer to the BT Openreach ONT? It needs to be via the Ethernet WAN port so the router needs to be configured to use a PPOE connection on this port. This will need your PlusNet user name and password to be entered. I expect after a factory reset the router defaults to the internal modem and DSL port which is not used on a FTTP connection so this may explain the problem. What are the instructions you have been following?