cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long a wait?

PhantomR
Grafter

Re: How long a wait?

@The_Dreamer I'm Sure that if your Local Community did the research or if you start a local group on the social websites advising people in your area about this better broadband there would be a lot of interest...not many people understand the terminology that we do and have been forced to learn but if explained In The Right Context I expect getting the right ISP's Involved eg..PlusNet..BT,etc...that offer it people will be interested !!!

But me personally I'd enjoy what you have first before doing so and things start to slow down and newer faster speed packages start to creep through...and the Speed Ball Starts Rolling Again !!CheesyFunny

Kind Regards

PhantomR

The_Dreamer
Grafter

…..

But me personally I'd enjoy what you have first before doing so and things start to slow down and newer faster speed packages start to creep through...and the Speed Ball Starts Rolling Again !!CheesyFunny

Kind Regards

PhantomR

Absolutely! It'll be nice to move to something roughly 15 times faster than what I have now (on a good day), and not worry about whether it's raining or not (get less than 0.5Mbps when the conduits flood)! I can wait for anything faster....

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@PhantomR

WBC FTTP doesn't depend on your Exchange or even your cabinet. The fibre is laid from the nearest Internet Head End. New area connections will be made to the nearest Aggregation Point that has capacity. Individual connections are made via a CBT (or Distribution Point as I call them).

The network can be either overhead or underground. The following gives some idea of what's involved.

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2016/06/a-peek-at-the-future-world-of-openreach-fttp/

Brian

bmc
Hero

The original WBC FTTP product from OpenReach had a maximum of 330 /30

However, they have very recently upped the speeds to 1000 / 220 and this is gradually being rolled out to the network. It's up to ISP's what retail product is available. From the BT Retail site the faster the speed the more it costs!!!

Brian

PhantomR
Grafter

@The_Dreamer

Many a day my fibre really struggles to keep up and buffers a lot on 40mbps so I'd love to jump on the trial alas I doubt this will be enabled and be possible for me or my community anytime soon 😞

All I ask is you enjoy it and let me know how much fun your having !!!

Kind Regards

PhantomR

PhantomR
Grafter

@bmc

I'll take a look at that link that you posted and read up on it !!!

I know that overhead cabling from poles are around for traditional phone lines and ADSL services just not for the fibre process also I guess the RSR will be my best Internet Head End but an OpenReach Engineer told me they could bypass the RSR and run a cable from the exchange straight to my door but it easier via the cabinets.

So it will be interesting reading so thanks again !!

Also that makes sense on the package upgrades as I knew speeds were increasing along with my current pricing going up mid contract

Kind Regards

PhantomR

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@PhantomR I'm afraid some of your posts on this thread are somewhat misinformed and confusing. The OP is getting  WBC FTTP as the fibre hardware has been installed in his area but there is a some delay with the checker showing availability. In your situation you already have FTTC so FTTPoD is available but it's very expensive and PlusNet don't supply it so despite you screaming at PlusNet you would never be eligible for the FTTP trial. 

In message#12 you stated  …."Now another point is...Plusnet Told Me To Be Eligible For The Trial I Have To Be on FTTC in the First Place" 

This is not true, most of the customer service staff know very little about FTTP and get things wrong. You need to be a PlusNet Broadband customer on ADSL or FTTC although very few places have FTTC and WBC FTTP available, parts of my village actually do have both. 

I don't know who told you that Fibre has to use underground ducts from the cabinets because that is wrong. A lot of FTTP connections are provided by overhead fibre on poles, particularly in rural areas with no cabinets anywhere nearby, the fibres go directly to the head end exchange which is often not the exchange your phone line comes from. 

Hope this clears things up a bit for other people reading this thread.

Brian_M
Hooked

As I said, it is fibre on the poles around the village. It goes underground fo a mile then back ut to go across the valley & river. I was told it would be fed directly from the exchange & not a cabinet (cabinets have to have power to them). So we end up with a copper phone line & a fiber cable to the house. The surveyor said in theory our speed is not dependent on how many people are online as is when you are on copper from a cabinet, so you get what you pay for! (in theory!)

FYI AT&T with Cable & Wireless ran a tri-core armored around the world back in the late 90's aimed at the banks at first. I filmed it where it came ashore In Alexandria & on the Suez Canal + its monitoring station at Fujairah UAE. This was part of the Europe to Asia leg. So from London to Hong Kong.  Shame we have had to wait 20 years for it to be made available for public consumption.
You can read about it here:  https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJnKLwHCnL72vedxjQkDDP1mXWo6uco/wiki/Fiber-Optic_Link_Around_the...

============

A snippit (FLAG fast link around the globe)

The FLAG cable system was first placed into commercial service in late 1997.[4] FLAG offered a speed of 10 Gbit/s and uses synchronous digital hierarchy technology. It carries over 120,000 voice channels via 27,000 km of mostly undersea cable. FLAG uses erbium-doped fiber amplifiers and was jointly supplied by AT&T Submarine Systems and KDD-Submarine Cable Systems. Its design, development, installation and service conformed to ISO 9000 quality standards. FLAG provided a link between the European end of high-density transatlantic crossings and the Asian end of the transpacific crossings.[5]

FLAG includes undersea cable segments and two terrestrial crossings. The segments can be either direct point-to-point links or multipoint links which are attained through branching units. At each cable landing point, a FLAG cable station is located. The total route length exceeds 27,000 km and comprises 1,020 km of terrestrial crossings. Approximately 6,600 km of the submerged cable is buried 1 m below the sea bed. Cable burial was performed by either a submersible plough as the cable was laid or jetting the laid cable into the sea bed via remotely operated vehicles (ROVs).[5]

Brian_M
Hooked

WOO! HOO! appeared today
fttp.jpg
I have been waiting 20 years for this!
I filmed for AT&T 'FLAG' (fast link around the globe) three fibres contained within armor core. The European leg goes from London to Hong Kong! so as you can imagine, fibre can go anywhere.
Now we have this tec to our homes.

Each time I have added a link to a wiki page about FLAG it is automatically deleated so look it up your self if interested.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Excellent, have you applied for FTTP using this link, http://trials.plus.net/ It may take a few days for a response but is more likely to get a result as the normal support staff are not really aware of the FTTP ordering process.

Brian_M
Hooked

Yes I have done this. Obviously I don't expect it to be seen over the weekend. I did reply to the first refusal standard letter we got but support staff took five days to reply to my previous question on that! So I put in a new request.
Fingers crossed all will now happen. Was going to let a few of the neighbors know, it may help if we can get a few orders in & make a days work out here for the engineers.

bmc
Hero

@Brian_M

Good news. PlusNet staff will pick up eventually but as you say not over the weekend (for the order anyway). From memory the OR FTTP ordering team only work Mon - Fri.

OR ordering systems don't allow people to "fix" appointments. I tried (with my neighbour) - we submitted our requests within half an hour of each other & posted on here. The OR system gave us separate dates and the PlusNet staff couldn't "arrange" a same day appointment.

Keep an eye on your support ticket.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @Brian_M

I'm really happy to see FTTP is finally available for you.

I've gone ahead and placed the order now, updating your ticket with more info.

We'll provide confirmation of your appointment date shortly.

If we're ever slow in responding to your ticket please feel free to nudge us on here.

Also if your neighbours are with Plusnet and are wanting FTTP from us I'd recommend asking them to raise a ticket at http://trials.plus.net as soon as possible and feel free to post back here with their ticket numbers and I'll be happy to place the orders.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Brian_M
Hooked

Ordered over the weekend, Wireless Hub arrived today (tuesday)
Appointment for fibre install in another seven days.
I'm impressed. Fingers crossed it all works to plan.

Cheers all, I'll let you know how it goes.
Brian

Brian_M
Hooked

So, engineers arrived today & all went to plan.

How long a wait? well I guess it can all happen within seven days of submitting an order once bt have updated the dsl site that fttp is available.

So currently speeds are around 70 down & 18 up although was originally only 4 up on first test.

Children are very happy bunnies Smiley

Thanks +net team

Brian