cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find my BT profile?

mulcahysm
Dabbler

How do I find my BT profile?

I've seen a number of posts where people have reported their IP profile as set by BT, and they seem to be reported from www.speedtester.bt.com but when I use this tool I don't get that information.
Also looking at the PlusNet values I see that they are reporting the defaults -
[tt]Estimated line speed:
    0.5Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2012-03-08 16:55:35
Current line speed:
    20 Mb [/tt]
I'm not complaining about the speed that I'm getting, which is pretty consistently 67/15 but would be interested in finding out more.
Can someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks, Sean.
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: How do I find my BT profile?

Let me guess - you ran the beta tool, not the diagnostic tool which reports the IP profile.
20Mb is a 'special' value for fibre and means no restriction so that is correct.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mulcahysm
Dabbler

Ah,  I've not tried the diagnostics.
mulcahysm
Dabbler

Thanks, ran the dianostic tests and got the answer!
So profile is 69/20 strange though that the speed reported at that time was 18/15, but when I re-ran the basic test I got 66/14.
Seems there is a big variation in speed results. Is there any traffic management going on?  I have noticed that speedtest.net results can be way below the BT test at the same time of day, but agree at others.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

There's quite a consensus tha the BT Diagnostic speedtester is very broken at the moment, almost certainly not a traffic management issue But it remains the simplest method of getting your connection profile numbers.
With speedtest.net it can depend a lot on which server you choose (and whether you stick to the same one for consistency), As the PN gateways are in London it is usually best to choose a London speedtest server (and hope the one you have has the capacity required at the time of your test?), I usually find Namesco fairly consistent.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
mulcahysm
Dabbler

Thanks for the advice, this looks more consistent with the beta BT result  -