Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home plug

MW2
Hooked

Home plug

Hi

We have been using a home plug for a few years and I suspect it is no longer working properly. Since joining the fttp trial I notice drop outs a few times a day. I can't replicate this when I use my ipad next to the router.

What technology does Plusnet or the wise members of this community recommend to replace the home plug system? Our signal has to pass through a thick stone wall.

MW

13 REPLIES 13
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Home plug

Not always the most convenient, but Ethernet cable wins every time.  Wink

Edit:  If wireless is required then a WAP at the end of said cable can be used.

Alex
Community Veteran

Yep as @RobPN says.

You can run Ethernet externally or internally with sockets in your property (if you feeling flush with £ and you own it).

Trouble is externally it will look ugly having a cable around your house and then you need to cable tie it.

One option to consider (and I have done this) is a Wireless Signal booster. I think I have got one from Argos, but for example here is a link:

Have a look from this link from Amazon. 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @MW2,

As @RobPN and @Alex have suggested, the best connection you're going to get will always be through a wired Ethernet connection, directly from the router to your device.

I can't recommend anything specific, however if you're dealing with thick walls within the property and you need to connect through WiFi for any of your devices, a Wireless Signal Booster certainly wouldn't go amiss.

Another thing to consider is that perhaps the Home Plugs that you have in use may just need replacing, as this is also a good method of improving your connectivity in the setup that you've described.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Alex
Community Veteran

Forgot to mention, as the OP has said they use an iPad then of course Ethernet will be no good if they want to use it in a poor reception area of their house. Unless you have one that accepts mobile sims.

I would get a cheap extender, maybe other people in the same position can recommend one?

edwh
Rising Star

Why not a new pair of home plugs? I had a pair that worked well for many years, one failed and when I looked inside it looked like the capacitor plague

A new pair worked just as well and the technology had come on significantly since the originals. The new "remote" end came with an in-built wireless access point, doing away with the need for an extra box.

MW2
Hooked

Thank you, everyone

@RobPN@Alex It would be great to be able to use an ethernet connection, as you mention it isn't cheap or aesthetic (nor quick)

@Alex I should have mentioned that I have tried two different signal boosters. Couldn't find one that was strong enough, don't know how to tell if they are 'strong'! Are boosters and extenders the same thing?

@TheMightyAJ@edwh, I have read that new homeplugs don't come with wifi. Even though I plug the PC into my homeplug via ethernet, the wifi signal is invaluable for the ipad and phones.

My neighbour has a wifi mesh, recommended and sold by BT. Guessing @TheMightyAJ would have mentioned this if plusnet also did.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday following up on replacing my homeplugs or going wifi mesh - does anyone have any recommendations?

many thanks

MW2

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@MW2 wrote:

My neighbour has a wifi mesh, recommended and sold by BT. Guessing @TheMightyAJ would have mentioned this if plusnet also did.

Is your neighbours house the identical type of building .i.e. has the thick walls issue?

Also where did they have to place the mesh units to get a good signal in your current bad spot?

And did the neighbour only connect the master unit via Ethernet, leaving the 2 others only connect by WiFi?

If so then it does sound like a mesh system is for you.

The BT one retails at £170 so not too bad. (he said quickly although I doubt my finance chief would agree Wink )

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

It depends on what your budget is really.

I chased into my walls and added twin Ethernet ports at every downstairs power socket and since then things like streaming TV and playing games has been amazing, but it's very expensive as you'd need to plaster 

For Wi-Fi I've heard good things about these (they don't have to be BT ones but these are the ones I've seen in action.)

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
edwh
Rising Star

@TheMightyAJ@edwh, I have read that new homeplugs don't come with wifi. Even though I plug the PC into my homeplug via ethernet, the wifi signal is invaluable for the ipad and phones.

I have a preceding version of this kit. The remote end is a wifi access point (it will be a separate wifi network) and the plug top includes two ports for anything you want to cable.

Alex
Community Veteran

Yep @JonoH, I see what you mean.

The OP didn't say if they were renting or they own. If renting you would really need to get the owners consent before making those kind of changes to the property of course.

My friend has told me he has CAT5 installed round the house and into the wall sockets. That's quite Cool

It's a nice thing to have, but I assume it wouldn't be cheap and it depends on how much the OP is willing to spend.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @MW2 

Looks like there has been a lot of recommendations already made - but just to give my 2 cents on the topic, I've had personal experience with Solwise homeplugs and they seemed to be very reasonable. 

Be sure to let us know what you end up doing! 

- Alisdair 

MW2
Hooked

Hello all

@Alex, @JonoH, the wired solution isn't suitable for a whole host of reasons, much as it would be wonderful to not have to worry about/ use additional electronics to solve the problem

@MasterOfReality and @edwh I like Solwise and their tech support is always brilliant. I decided to phone them. They do have a new system for fast internet connections, but they recommended moving some plugs around as the problem I am having could be to do with noisy mains. Fingers crossed. If that doesn't work I think I am likely to go with a wi-fi mesh. Thanks for the link @JonoH

MW

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

I saw these yesterday and even though I don't really use Wi-Fi in the home I thought I'd get a couple just to see what they're like. I'll be installing 2 in the house in rooms where the Wi-Fi is good but next to rooms where Wi-Fi isn't great.

If they work, they're a very affordable solution. I'll let you know.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager