cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Getting Update from BTOpenreach

macdonut

Help Getting Update from BTOpenreach

Hi there,

I moved into a house in a semi country location a year ago which was connected directly to the exchange via an EO line.  About 8 months ago, BTOpenreach (or contractors on their behalf) came along and replaced all the telegraph poles and installed overhead fibre from the telegraph poles directly to the nearest fibre cabinet nearly two miles away.  I spoke to the engineers at the time and they said it was part of the FTTP rollout.  There are bundles of rolled up fibre cables attached to the telegraph poles waiting to be connected to each property.  The engineer said that he expected FTTP to be made available in around 3 months time.

8 months later, it's still not available.  I've tried my best to get hold of Openreach via their official channels (e-mail, twitter etc) but am repeatedly hitting my head against a brick wall.  I either get no response at all or I am told that "you are not in the plans for FTTP".  However, that's very clearly not the case.

Is there anything anyone at Plus Net can do to simply get a sensible update from Openreach?  Or at least get a contact of someone based in the UK that I can get an update from?  They don't seem to offer any telephone support at all and that's extremely frustrating given that all e-mails are responded to by people clearly based offshore.

My postcode is: G78 3AE.  My telephone number is 0141 881 3720 (I can make this public as there's no phone actually connected!).

Any advice/support much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: Help Getting Update from BTOpenreach

Using the DSL checker shows you now appear to be connected to Cabinet 59 abet with very poor FTTC speeds. There is no sign (using the CodeLook website) of FTTP being in the offering.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

FTTPonDemand is available but this is to all intents and purposes a business product - it is very expensive.

Brian

macdonut

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I left the FTTC part out of my original post as I didn't think it entirely relevant.  Just before the overhead fibre cables were installed, FTTC was technically made available via the same cabinet that the new overhead cables have been run to.  However, this cabinet is nearly 2 miles away but given that I was only getting 3 mbps, I decided to take the fibre product as it offered 7mbps.  On the day of the installation, the engineer wasn't going to proceed as he said the connection was too weak.  It went ahead but we still suffer from dropped connections on a regular basis.  Yeah, FTTPOnDemand is potentially available but ridiculously expensive now.  And why would I when there's a rolled up fibre cable sitting outside waiting to be connected to my house!

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

You could try getting in touch with the Scottish Superfast program to see if they have any news (if FTTP is coming they're probably financing it!!!). There is a contact link at the foot of the page.

https://www.scotlandsuperfast.com/

Brian