cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having some problems...

bighippo999
Grafter

Having some problems...

Just wondering if anyone else is having any issues over the last few days with speed?
A few days ago I started having problems playing tunes on grooveshark and spotify, they both just end up buffering playing for about 10 secs a time. At the same time chrome started to sit with the message 'sending request' for about 5-6 secs before loading any page. Can't say I paid much attention though it was just a bit annoying and gameplay on the xbox live wasn't affected.
Earlier today videos on youtube were working fine so was gameplay then about 4pm youtube started buffering and CoD was very laggy/jumpy.
About 6pm decided on a router reboot to see if that helped - it didn't. Took a while to reconnect and once connected everything was sloowwwwwww. A speedtest.net test come out at 0.47Mb/s download and 0.12Mb/s up. Run a BT speedtest and that comes out much better at 21816Kbps down and 8034Kbps up but really doesn't represent what I'm seeing.
I'm not anywhere near my monthly allowance to cause a slowdown there, but just incase I used an SSH Socks proxy which has got around slowdowns before and testing that come in just as slow.
I ended up rebooting my router again about an hour later, but then couldn't reconnect back in. So I cabled my laptop straight to the BT box and established the connection direct. Run the same speed tests, results exactly the same. One thing that made me think there maybe some kind of other problem going on, when I was trying to get to the bt speedtest site it just wouldn't load up, other sites would but BT wouldn't. eventually it did and the test showed a fast connection.
At the moment it's back like using a slow ADSL and I'll have to use my mobile connection until it's sorted.
Anyone else having any speed issues?
8 REPLIES 8
bighippo999
Grafter

Re: Having some problems...

Speeds all back to normal this morning. Suppose I'll just keep an eye on it for now.
bighippo999
Grafter

Still keeping an eye on it, 3rd day in a row that the speed has dropped right down to 0.5Mps  Cry so I've decided to log a ticket, will see what happens and keep monitoring.
bighippo999
Grafter

Connection dropped yesterday about 6:30am and hasn't been able to connect since Sad
Still have a ticket open 37772512 but had no response so far.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

I've replied to your ticket, looks like the connection is back but dropping out, let us know if you can connect or not and we can then look further in to it.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
bighippo999
Grafter

Been a few days since updating so in case anyone else was reading here's an update.
Looks like I'm having 2 issues,
First) Had feedback from Plus that a few customers using Cisco Pix are having connection issues, so I've ended up putting it to one side but will keep testing it every now and then to see if it suddenly works again. I've fed some of the debugging back to plus but don't know how useful it is. They also said to make sure it's using CHAP, but forcing this in the config hasn't helped.
Second) Taking the cisco out and connecting a laptop straight to the BT modem still gives me speed issues. It was looking like it was evening time causing slow downs to 0.12Mbs down and 0.07Mbs up. But that's blown out of the water at the moment as testing anytime gives similar results.
In an effort to test though, I used my cousins details (he's on FTTC) and run a few speed tests, using his login on my line is nice and quick. So I stuck my login on his line and hey presto it's bloody slow.
At the moment, I'm down to using my grand fathers login (He's on ADSL) and getting speeds of about 2Mbs down and 7Mbs up. I've disconnected his ADSL not to confuse matters. I just switched but before writing this just to check and using my account is still slow.
I'm hoping plus come back this week, I really dont want my account to be screwed all over xmas. I was thinking of getting my grandfather on fttc too before xmas, but don't want to screw with his account now it's my only decent speed.
Will add more as and when.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

I think I've found and fixed the cause of the speed problem, if you can try your username again please and let me know if it's been fixed that'd be appreciated.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
bighippo999
Grafter

Thanks Dave,
Just set it back to me and it looks good. I'll retest this evening and let you know if it stays quick. my fingers are crossed Smiley
bighippo999
Grafter

YAY, Thanks Dave looks like my speeds are ok tonight, will keep an eye. I'll leave the ticket open for the Cisco Pix not working. Gotta say I was somewhat annoyed at the response today (not yours), but very happy now.
Thanks You.