Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP: Best way to cancel phone line but retain number for VOIP

FIXED
landerson07
Hooked

HELP: Best way to cancel phone line but retain number for VOIP

Hey all, having just had FTTP installed I'm looking into VOIP due to the lower costs/increased value for money.

However, I would like to keep my current number. Reading on Vonage's website suggests I open an account with them then request a number migration from my current supplier (Plusnet)?

Is this the best option? Or is there an easier option? @MattyC@HarryB

TIA

Lee

7 REPLIES 7
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: HELP: Best way to cancel phone line but retain number for VOIP

I think that's likely the best option.

What I would ask is that you let us know when the number migrates away, so we can close down any tickets that are created to close the account and prevent the cancellation of your broadband service.

When the number migrates away (Especially off of the BT Network) the account will prompt us to close it, as any normal broadband service would be ceased if the phone line was moved off of the BT network.

EDIT: The above is what I did over on this thread: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-To-The-Premises-trial/FTTP-Moving-number-to-a-VOIP-Provider/m-p/...

dazrog PM'd me confirming the date his phone service was due to leave and then gave me a reminder on the day his services left so I could tidy up the account and keep it open as broadband only on FTTP Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

think that's likely the best option.

That's the only option to keep the number. In order to port a number to voip it must be a live one and you need to provide some proof of ownership of the number e.g. a phone bill. The port mechanism will automatically cease the landline.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

landerson07
Hooked

I've messaged you @HarryB because I've now got my swap over date but also they're telling me I have to pay a cancellation fee for my BB and customer services have no idea about the FTTP trial as per usual :o(

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

HarryB wrote:

What I would ask is that you let us know when the number migrates away, so we can close down any tickets that are created to close the account and prevent the cancellation of your broadband service.

When the number migrates away (Especially off of the BT Network) the account will prompt us to close it, as any normal broadband service would be ceased if the phone line was moved off of the BT network.

As your number is migrating away from the BT Network, the account prompting closure of the account following this.

Apologies for any confusion from my previous post, what I meant to say was contact myself or @MattyC, as opposed to contact us, when the number migrates away, so we can close down any tickets that are created to close the account and prevent the cancellation of your broadband service.

I see an advisor has put a ticket in the FTTP Provides pool... So I've escalated this to myself and I'll check back when the number is due to migrate away.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
landerson07
Hooked

Can you please confirm any charges I will incur? By pm is fine if you prefer

Cheers
Lee
landerson07
Hooked

@HarryB switchover day tomorrow if you can keep an eye out for me so my internet doesn't go off?Huh

Cheers mate

Lee

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fix

Hi @landerson07

I've made sure the cancellation ticket has been closed with no action and also made sure there is a clear not on the account advising it is now FTTP Broadband only.

I hope this helps Smiley

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet