Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a new line fitted and moving my FFTC

fa55
Community Veteran

Getting a new line fitted and moving my FFTC

In theory (at the moment)
If I had a brand new BT line fitted (so it avoided all the silly wiring in my house and could have the master socket in a new place, would moving my FFTC install be like doing a house move, how much would this cost? I could then have my own phone and CAT6 wiring done from a more suitable place out of sight.
Once installed, get my old phone line switched off, this would also give me the advantage of a new land line number as we get a lot of calls for people who used to live there.
Does anyone know the cost of getting a new phone line fitted? On BT's website it seems to contridict itself and says it could be £30 or might be £130.
My line is underground (no overhead cabling) so I presume it's just a case of running it through the ducts along side the existing one.
4 REPLIES 4
itsme
Grafter

Re: Getting a new line fitted and moving my FFTC

Think the £30 is if a line is already in the house and the £130 is if Openreach have to run a line to the house..
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The cable to your house will almost certainly have a spare pair of wires. When BT supply a second line the easy option is to just put a second master socket beside the first. As this isn't what you want it's likely that it won't be the cheaper of the two options. What they will probably want to do is connect inside your existing first socket and run a cable to where you want the new master. When you ditch your old number you would be left with a box that can't be removed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
fa55
Community Veteran

Thanks Jelv,
I'll do some thinking and reading and see what works out best for me -
Get used to it £free
Get existing master socket moved probably £130 + phone and cat 5e/6 cabling.
Get new line probably £130 plus whatever fees from Plusnet for a house move and the cabling.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI fa55,
We could fit a new line for £49.99 and move the FTTC for the £65 house move charge. When the new FTTC is fitted you could have a free up to 30m data extension fitted by the engineer.
Jojo Smiley