Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fttp activation

FIXED
chris1610
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Fttp activation

I didn't realise this was a thing that needed doing after the install. Engineer has been and gone this morning. He seemed to expect fttp to work immediately, so phoned Plusnet, who spoke to me. They tell me activation could be any time up to midnight tonight. I think they said ADSL would work until activation, but not sure if I understood correctly. Anyway, ADSL is still working at the moment.

Should I wait for ADSL to stop working as the sign to check if fttp works? 

Can anyone confirm that router should be connect to port 1 on the ONT? (I did see another thread where someone was told to connect to port 2, but that might have been different because they were moving from BT.)

16 REPLIES 16
chris1610
Grafter

Re: Fttp activation

Just to clarify, engineer connected to port 1.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@chris1610 wrote:

I didn't realise this was a thing that needed doing after the install. Engineer has been and gone this morning. He seemed to expect fttp to work immediately

It should.

@chris1610 wrote:

so phoned Plusnet, who spoke to me. They tell me activation could be any time up to midnight tonight.

Although orders can complete any time up until midnight, it should start working from when the engineer completes the installation. [Edit: I've just noticed that the order completed around 15 minutes after you spoke to someone on the phone this morning]

Having said this, it may not be the correct speeds straight away due to manual work being required to switch the account over to a fibre package. Leave this with me and I'll do that now for you.

Testing the connection isn't indicating any problems other than it not detecting the router, but if you've not connected this up yet, that would be expected.

@chris1610 wrote:

Can anyone confirm that router should be connect to port 1 on the ONT? (I did see another thread where someone was told to connect to port 2, but that might have been different because they were moving from BT.)

If you're referring to a thread I'm thinking of, I think this was where the previous provider was on port 1 and we provided on the next available port, which was 2 Wink

I've checked your order and you should be on port 1 of the ONT.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
chris1610
Grafter

Still can't connect. Back on ADSL now.

I also tried my never before used previous router (hub 0?) set it to fibre and changed nothing else, that hung with a message of connecting. So I  don't think it's an issue with the hub 0 router. (WAN connected to port 4.)

On the hub one, I tried factory reset, which put a login of something like setup@plusdsl.net into the connection details, that didn't work either.

I note that the hub zero had a default login of tr069@plusdsl.net, not sure why default logins are different? Also, when I say I tried the hub zero, I literally changed nothing other than DSL to fibre, so didn't actually try logging in with my own details. I didn't want to change the original state of it more than I had to to connect. Presumably it should connect with the default login.

Any chance my ADSL can be kept alive until this is resolved?

chris1610
Grafter

Some log entries from when hub one tried to connect

00:00:29, 22 Mar. ( 41.720000) CWMP: session closed due to error: Could not resolve host
00:00:23, 22 Mar. ( 36.030000) CWMP: Server URL: https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username
00:00:23, 22 Mar. ( 36.020000) CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '1 BOOT,4 VALUE CHANGE'
00:00:23, 22 Mar. ( 35.780000) CWMP: Initializing transaction for event code 1 BOOT
14:27:27, 06 Jul. ( 3216.360000) CWMP: Server URL: https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username
14:27:27, 06 Jul. ( 3216.350000) CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '4 VALUE CHANGE'
00:00:21, 22 Mar. ( 33.420000) Ethernet is up
00:00:20, 22 Mar. ( 32.460000) WAN Auto-​sensing running.
clanla
Grafter

Chris

Did you try factory resetting the router, connecting it to the fibre modem (with nothing else connected to the router), and leaving it for 10 minutes before doing anything else?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@chris1610 wrote:

On the hub one, I tried factory reset, which put a login of something like setup@plusdsl.net into the connection details, that didn't work either.

Could you try entering the broadband username and password manually please.

You'd need to click the option to disconnect and change setup@plusdsl.net to yourusername@plusdsl.net and the password would be the same as your account password.

@chris1610 wrote:

Any chance my ADSL can be kept alive until this is resolved?

Based off your initial post I'd held off on ceasing the ADSL asset, I've now escalated the ticket to myself to try and avoid anyone ceasing the ADSL until we can get your FTTP working.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
chris1610
Grafter

Thanks for preserving the ADSL. I've factory reset my previous router (BT home hub 4) and connected it to the ADSL, so I won't lose internet when I try the hub one, and so the hub one can stay connected to the ONT until it's working. I have two different PCs set up with a wired connection to each router, so that I can get to the settings of each.

I've entered the broadband user name and password manually on the hub one,  no luck. (I did try that earlier as well.)

I tried the suggestion of factory resetting and leaving for 10 minutes, that didn't get a blue light. I factory reset again before trying my login details again as well.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hmm, testing your new FTTP service isn't finding any problems. Then again there aren't many diagnostics we can run for FTTP. The next step would probably be to progress this as a broadband fault by going over to http://faults.plus.net

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@chris1610

Possibly not the cause here, but to eliminate your router from the problem it might be worth setting up a direct connection from a PC to the ONT.

Copied from this post;

A quick and easy way to test if your FTTP connection is actually 'live' is to set up a PPPoE connection on your computer and bypass the router completely, i.e. connect your computer NIC directly to LAN1 on the ONT with an Ethernet cable.

To set up said PPPoE connection, go to Windows Network and Sharing Centre, choose 'Setup a new connection or network' / 'Connect to the Internet' / 'Broadband (PPPoE)' then enter your credentials (not forgetting that your PN username is generally 'myaccountname@plusdsl.net')

chris1610
Grafter

I will try the direct PC connection option a little later when I get some time. (Though I've already tried a different router, might also try that again.)

In going through the fault reporting process, it's asked me to reboot the modem. Should I try rebooting the ONT, and if so how do I do it, given that it has a battery?

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Fix

@chris1610 wrote:

Should I try rebooting the ONT, and if so how do I do it, given that it has a battery?

Probably won't do any harm; if it's got a separate BBU (mine's not fitted/connected), just unplug the cable from the BBU to the ONT.

chris1610
Grafter

Web site seems a little flaky at the moment, my last post failed. I'll try again:-

Success!

ONT reboot initially resulted in orange light as usual, decided to connect a PC, by the time I walked back along the corridor carrying one end of the cable, the light had turned blue.

Internet was a little flaky for a few minutes, couldn't run a speed test, but now getting 74 down and 19 up. (Well I did once, all other tests including a subsequent one failed due to "network problems", just did another one that failed to complete. Hopefully it will stabilise soon.)

Thanks to everyone who responded, sorry for running off, but need to switch various things from ADSL to Fibre routers, especially the laptop I'm supposed to be using to work from home at the moment.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Happy to hear it's now up and running!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chris1610
Grafter

FTTP still working, I think we can contemplate turning the ADSL off, if not already done.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.