cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fttc, had pppoe, but now static ip. Not working

Chriz
Dabbler

Fttc, had pppoe, but now static ip. Not working

I was originally connected via fttc, and when configuring the router I was getting a pppoe connection type detected, which was working. But now, with no changes to settings this end it is showing a fixed ip address connection. Don't know how to fix this? What would have changed?
6 REPLIES 6
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Fttc, had pppoe, but now static ip. Not working

Sorry, I don't understand what problem you are detailing? What do you mean by "a fixed IP address connection"?
When you say "originally connected via fttc" do you mean you are no longer on an FTTC connection (i.e. switched back to ADSL) or what?
FTTC uses PPPoE for it's connection. You have a WAN router connected to the BT VDSL modem and this interface uses PPPoE to connect and authenticate with. Once authenticated you get allocated an IP address which can either be from Plusnets dynamic IP range or for older products or where you have asked for it, a fixed IP address.
What router are you using?

Chriz
Dabbler

The modem is a Bt one and the router is the negear one Plusnet provide. The dsl light is still on so it seems the sync to the exchange is working,
But there is no pppoe connection detected.
Chris
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Are you sure you have your correct plusnet details in the PPPoE settings in the router?
If the network cable from the VDSL modem connected to the WAN port on the router (not the LAN ports where you can connect to)
Have you tried turning the BT VDSL modem and router off for 30 seconds then turning on the BT VDSL modem for 30 seconds then turning on the router?
Is the BT VDSL modem running hot... it may have gone faulty as others have reported on this forum.
If none of the above work you need to go through the Plusnet faults process.
Chriz
Dabbler

Hello,
I have tryed the suggested you made, but I did notice that the model is extremely hot. How would I go about getting another one? Or is there something better I could get?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You need to go thorough the Plusnet faults process as I said. http://faults.plus.net
Plusnet will then arrange to have the unit replaced if deemed faulty.The VDSL modem is supplied by BT as part of the FTTC contract, you cannot use your own equipment.
aedwards
Dabbler

Quote from: Chriz
I was originally connected via fttc, and when configuring the router I was getting a pppoe connection type detected, which was working. But now, with no changes to settings this end it is showing a fixed ip address connection. Don't know how to fix this? What would have changed?

I had that when I installed my router, the auto-detection wizard reckoned I had a fixed IP address.  I was pretty sure that was wrong, binned the wizard and set it up manually as PPPoE, and everything worked.
I can't get into the router's setup from here, but I think the manual settings are in Basic Settings on the router's setup page (assuming you've got a NetGear WNR-1000 too).  You choose PPPoE as the connection type, and you get a screen that asks for the user name and password.  I don't think anything else needed changing on that screen, but it's covered in the two-page document that should have come with the router.
Alan.