Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First or second visit for splice?

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

First or second visit for splice?

I've just finished running the internal (metallic) conduit from my chosen entry point to the utility cupboard where I want the (internal) Customer Splice Point fitted just in time for my first FTTP installation visit from BT Openreach tomorrow at 8:00am.
As I need to run a further (plastic) conduit from the utility cupboard to the cave Smiley above it where my router and main PC etc. lives, can any other lucky FTTP customer kindly confirm my thinking that the actual splicing of the incoming fibre to the internal connectorised fibre which connects to the ONT is not done on the first visit, but on the second visit?
Hopefully that is the case, and if so, there will be no rush for me to install the second length of conduit today.  Smiley
24 REPLIES 24
cajef
Grafter

Re: First or second visit for splice?

For the first visit the Openreach engineer runs the fibre cable from the manifold to a small junction box outside on the wall, on the second appointment an engineer fits the ONT and connects the cable and splices it in the external JB.
I my case the cable was run externally from the JB round the property and then in through the wall next to where the ONT was fitted.  
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Hobo
..., on the second appointment an engineer fits the ONT and connects the cable and splices it in the external JB.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear!  Smiley
I didn't fancy starting the job of running my second conduit today, so now I can clean up and jump in the shower, and do that job another day!
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Yep, the provisions I deal with usually entail work of this nature on your second visit.
Best of luck on the 3rd. Smiley
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: MattyC
Best of luck on the 3rd. Smiley

Thanks Matty, but I need some luck today first!  No sign of Openreach yet and no phone call either, but I'm not stressing.   Smiley  (The appointment stated 8:00am -1:00pm)
The funny thing is, the friend who you will probably remember applied at the same time as me for the FTTP trial, and who has had his appointment rearranged to a later date (not today), was going to come around in case I needed any assistance pulling the BFT through the conduit and also to see the install process.  He phoned me at about 8:50 am as I hadn't called him to say BT had arrived.  Then when he called again at 10:30 am I again told him they hadn't arrived and his reply was "I know, they've just turned up at my place and started doing my external work".
I asked him to ask them if my job was on their list for today but he's not got back to me yet.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: RobPN

...  (The appointment stated 8:00am -1:00pm)

Actually I was wrong with that statement.  I just re-checked the ticket and there was no time specified for the external work, just todays date, so I guess there's still time for them to turn up.  Roll_eyes
Apparently it only took them about 2 hours or so to complete my friends external work earlier today.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Well I didn't get the luck mentioned above and I've concluded that today was a waste of time regarding waiting for Openreach to turn up.  Complete 'no-show' with not even a phone call from OR cancelling or making excuses, and that's after I received a call from them last Friday (17 July) confirming my appointment for today.
I'm not sure what happens now but I'm hoping they will rearrange a new 'first' appointment so that they can get the work done in time for my existing 'second' appointment.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Arggghh.  Embarrassed
I've written this one down to pick up tomorrow morning.
My apologies Rob.
Matty
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

I've written this one down to pick up tomorrow morning.
My apologies Rob.

Thanks Matty   Wink
Not your fault, and no reflection or accusations aimed at you or PN, I guess I'm just another 'victim' of the unaccountable OR   Sad
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Investigating. Will update thread shortly.

Ok I've just gotten off the phone with the overlords. Your order hasn't been delayed, and is still assigned to the same engineer. He hasn't returned the job or delayed it. I've gotten someone to leave the guy a voicemail asking to call you up with an ETA. Let me know if you've still heard nothing by Thursday.
Matty
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

OK, thanks for chasing this Matty.
Again this is aimed purely at OR, but what a [swear words which would have been censored] ridiculous appointment system OR have when an appointment stated for Day 1 can be spread over X number of days without the courtesy of a simple phone call to the victim at the receiving end, and they expect people to be home when they eventually arrive.  Sad
I guess the only redeeming factor is that I'm ultimately going to be on FTTP  Wink
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: RobPN
What a ridiculous appointment system OR have when an appointment stated for Day 1 can be spread over X number of days without the courtesy of a simple phone call to the victim at the receiving end, and they expect people to be home when they eventually arrive.

Well I doubt it's designed to be like that.  Roll_eyes
Pretty certain he's deviated from the process.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Pretty certain he's deviated from the process.

Well slapped wrist and no tea and cookies for him then!   Wink
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

... I've gotten someone to leave the guy a voicemail asking to call you up with an ETA. Let me know if you've still heard nothing by Thursday.
Matty

As requested Matty; as we're well into Thursday I'm just letting you know that I've heard nothing further from BTOR (and no attempted visits either)   Sad
PS
Just thought I'd better add that if another appointment needs to be booked I won't be available all day Monday 27 July (any other day is fine).
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I've asked for a colleague to chase this up so there should be an update on the ticket later today.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet