cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding out what Openreach are going to do

AndyH
Grafter

Re: Finding out what Openreach are going to do

From my conversations with BT, people in fibre areas would either get FTTP or an upgraded VDSL DSLAM for FTTC, not both. FTTP bypasses the cabinet and runs straight from the exchange so there is no need to do anything with the old cabinet (fibre supports voice/data and more).
This is my cabinet - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=newport+road,+willen&hl=en&ll=52.062683,-0.721815&spn=0.005323,0.016...
Yet they have had FTTP here for over two years.
I'm pretty sure BT install FTTP overhead via poles. This is probably the preferred method of installing it as you don't encounter problems liked blocked ducts. It's also one reason why so many people in Japan have FTTP - everything is overhead there.
dick:quote
joncooper
Grafter

good to hear FTTP by poles is a viable thing
it's 'Superfast Cornwall' who've told me my CAB means connection will be via FTTP
not sure about "FTTP bypasses the cabinet and runs straight from the exchange" - from what I hear there is a very different thing for connection directly to the exchange, still very much on trial
WWWombat
Grafter

FTTP can be via pole or underground. The UK currently has rules preventing new work above ground (without good reason, anyway), so you can assume that poles will be done on a like-for-like basis.
I've attached an architecture picture for FTTP. As you can see, FTTP *does* bypass the cabinet - but doesn't replace it with fibre direct from the exchange.
The aggregation nodes & splitters replace the job of today's cabinet, but they do it all hidden underground.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
WWWombat
Grafter

And the same kind of picture for FTTP-on-demand.
Here there's a difference in the way they use the splitter(s).
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
joncooper
Grafter

thanks for those WWWombat, helps to have an idea of what they're up to