cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File download speed on FTTC?

uksmiths

File download speed on FTTC?

Hi,
BT installed FTTC today and I am getting around 37000 kbps down and 8100 kbps up which seems similar to others on this trial.
The sync on the line did drop for a minute but perhaps that is because the BT engineer is doing other installations from that cabinet.
1. Are sync drops from the modem common?
2. In downloading a file from my browser, the download speed for the file is 500 KB/Sec - why is not much faster?  Is it limited by PlusNet?
Thanks PlusNet.
Chris
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: File download speed on FTTC?

uksmiths

Thanks Jim,
I don't see how that table relates to my observed web download speed of 512KB/Sec.  If I do two file downloads simultaneously from the browser both download at 512KB/Sec.
My account page shows old estimated line speed of 4MB last done in December and a current line speed of 20Mb.
I am on a Plusnet Premium product now, I used to be on Plusnet Pro but with a usage of about 40GB month that was proving expensive.
Regards,
Chris
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If you are on premier the speeds are found here http://www.plus.net/search/index.php?strSite=plusnet&rad=plusnet&strSearchString=Broadband+Premier+O... but I don't know how you would see two streams with the same speed
Are you giving speeds in kbps or kBps
WWWombat
Grafter

Where are you downloading from? Some downloading servers can restrict the rate at which individual connections can load at - and obviously a 2nd file is seen as a second connection. I've seen this for both FTP and HTTP.
The number 512 seems to strongly suggest this.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
uksmiths

Hi,
Just tried a different computer (both are wired internet) and used an FTP client to download from a different site (our company FTPsite).  Each connection maxes out at 512 KB/s.
Something is limiting it somewhere, surely?
Regards,
Chris
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Have you done a speedtest on the BT site or speedtest.net ? FTP will be rate limited.
uksmiths

Thanks Ben,
Yes, speedtest.net is

Why is FTP or Http file download limited?  Doesn't that defeat the object of high speed connection?
Sync has dropped twice in the last 2 hours, is that normal?
Regards,
Chris
Oldjim
Resting Legend

External FTP is limited to 10Mbs per switch - and no I have no idea what that means in practice
Vip3r
Grafter

Hi uksmiths,
Have a look here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/plusnet_premium_archive.shtml#downloadSpeeds
for the speed restrictions on your product. FTP is restricted to various levels through the day.