Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre trial,I have found a way to get 80Mps download

jamiemahoney
Dabbler

Re: Fibre trial,I have found a way to get 80Mps download

Thanks
It seems to be the antivirus which is creating the majority of the slowdown.
I have tried with Ethernet cable, firewall on with Avast Antivirus running and get this...

....And with Avast off....

This was in the middle of the day when traffic was quite high so the slower speeds were expected. I think I'll take your advice on the firewall but live with the AV slowing things down as the speeds are still fab compared to what I used to get anyway but thanks for your help.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

OMG  Lips_are_sealed
Switch to the rebel cause and come and use Linux, I promise, you get none of these issues.
hmarshy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I also live in Monkston, Milton Keynes and am currently taking part in the Plusnet FTTP trial.
I have had no problems relating to my anti-virus protection and I am running McAfee Internet Security Suite which some people consider affects their computers' performance. My first test via Ethernet showed a download speed of 92Mbps and my second test done wirelessly showed a download speed of about 25Mbps. My laptop only has wireless G so I bought myself a longer Ethernet cable to get the best performance.
With my 15m Ethernet cable and anti-virus always enabled my download speeds have varied between 96Mbps and 60Mbps.
One of my colleagues has just suggested that the difference you are experiencing in download speeds with anti-virus switched on/off may be due to the performance of your computers?