Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre to the Premises - FTTP Trial

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: Fibre to the Premises - FTTP Trial

I'm glad we've got a fairly big reserve list as we've just got the initial availability data through and there's only probably about half the lines covered on Bradwell Abbey (waiting for the Highams Park data but no-one that's on the list is on that exchange).
Of the people that have so far expressed an interest only 3 are showing as being able to get it, the lucky 3 are:
readingg
herbiejhopkins
cjecharman
daveewen - your postcode isn't in the availability data at the moment, I'm checking that with the trial team
As such we have at least 1 more slot available, possibly 2 so if anyone else on either Bradwell Abbey or Highams Park is interested please post here and I'll check the availability for you.
If the availability data does change to include any more postcodes then I'll recheck if anyone on here can then get it.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
michaelmann

This is in response to Daves message about trials on Bradwell Abbey for FTTP.  Do I take it that although I am on the exchange, my postcode is not available in the trial? Cry
I am in MK14 5AX-Great Linford.
I did log my name at the start, but your last post seems to rule me out.  Can you clarify please?
klyne
Grafter

Quote from: dave
I'm glad we've got a fairly big reserve list as we've just got the initial availability data through and there's only probably about half the lines covered on Bradwell Abbey (waiting for the Highams Park data but no-one that's on the list is on that exchange).
Of the people that have so far expressed an interest only 3 are showing as being able to get it, the lucky 3 are:
readingg
herbiejhopkins
cjecharman
daveewen - your postcode isn't in the availability data at the moment, I'm checking that with the trial team
As such we have at least 1 more slot available, possibly 2 so if anyone else on either Bradwell Abbey or Highams Park is interested please post here and I'll check the availability for you.
If the availability data does change to include any more postcodes then I'll recheck if anyone on here can then get it.

Dave
Are you able to tell us why some phone lines are unsuitable for the trial? Does it mean that people like me who live in Great Linford (MK14) are not going to be able to get fibre connection once the trial is over?
Thanks
David
readingg
Grafter

Well I must be in luck - 100Mps here I come
janswer

readingg
herbiejhopkins
cjecharman

I replied earlier in the thread, but haven't been asked for my postcode - I'm in MK5 7AR.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Openreach are rolling out FTTP in Bradwell Abbey to only about 40-50% of the addresses for the trial period. As I understand it'll be available for those lines that are on exchange fed lines and for lines fed from some of the cabinets. Some of the cabinets aren't suitable for a number of reasons such as cost of deployment. It is likely though that once the trial is concluded that they will look at rolling out FTTC for the remainder of the cabinets at some point.
michaelmann and janswer - I checked your accounts too (I can see your account/postcode from your forum username), unfortunately neither of you are on the initial dataset.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

daveewen - unfortunately doesn't look like your area is included either.
I will recheck everyone should the area increase, but in the meantime I still have a place open at either Bradwell Abbey or Highams Park if anyone is interested.
For those interested in the techy side attached to this post are photos of some of the kit and an Openreach diagram showing how it all works.
What they are going to do for these 2 exchanges is pre-build part of the fibre rollout. They will take fibre out from the exchange to a splitter node further downstream where each fibre will be split out and run to multiple Distribution Points. This is part of the reason why only 50% of the area is being covered, they've already assessed the area and determined that it just isn't possible (or economical) to run fibre to the rest of the area because there's no space in the ducting or the ducts are blocked for example.
This way when you come to order FTTP they just need to run fibre from the distribution point over to your property. This can be overhead or via a duct depending on how your copper line is already fed.
The fibre needs to terminate at ground level so they aren't splicing fibre at the top of a ladder. You'll then have a small grey box (2nd picture) on the outside wall. They'll drill a hole (or feed through an existing hole) in the wall and on the inside wall you'll have an ONT (optical network termination) fitted (1st picture). This is in effect an Openreach modem. It provides 4 ethernet ports and 2 phone ports. Each port is in effect a different service, for example you may buy a data service that is provided on port 1 like your existing broadband and connect it to your router/PC and you may buy a video on demand service that is provided on port 2 connected to your TV/set top box. So initially you'd only use port 1.
The ONT won't initially provide voice but the current plan is to set it up to be compatible at a later date so they will connected the ONT to your existing master phone socket. It also needs power and has a battery backup box.
The layout of everything is up to the end user but there are limitations on the fibre length (20m standard from the outside box to ONT, 30m as an option), the ONT needs to be wall mounted and secure and needs to be near the power and reasonable distance to the master socket. You'll also need room for the battery and the router we supply and also take into account whether in the future you may be connecting the ONT to other devices in the house like the TV. For the triallists you'll also keep your existing broadband kit.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
klyne
Grafter

Dave
Thank you for your very interesting post. I think that is the most comprehensive information we have had so far. I appreciate this is a very leading question but are you able to tell us what postcodes will not be covered after the trail? Obviously there was a lot of excitement in MK when it was announced but the more we learn the more restrictive it seems the availability of superfast broadband will be. Living in the north/east of MK (postcode MK14 5EW) how on earth do we find out if there is any hope of us getting faster broadband. I appreciate this is not in the hands or indeed the responsibility of Plus Net but will will understand the frustration of not knowing whether we will be in the same situation in a few years time as we are now.
David
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

At the moment areas that are down as not planned will remain as not planned after the trial as I understand it although some areas may get added later should they fit in to the greenfield catagory (new build properties on a single DP, 20+ as a minimum) and also I presume if other work is done to enable fibre to be layed (e.g. clearing out ducting for another reason).
The other part of the rollout plan is fill in areas with FTTC. I don't know what the plans are for the 2 FTTP exchanges but I would expect there to be an FTTC rollout at a later date to some of the unplanned FTTP areas.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
jonnywishbone
Grafter

I would love to be part of the trial on the Bradwell Abbey exchange pls - what info do you need?
(MK10 9JN) - Middleton, Milton Keynes
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks jonnywishbone, I've checked your postcode and you're in the available area so I've pencilled you in as line number 5 (note this doesn't commit you to anything). The customer trial is due to begin at the beginning of July so I'll be in touch a little before then with more details.
Our first test line is due to go live tomorrow with any luck.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
jonnywishbone
Grafter

Great news! Thanks
Also, if I recommend my brother to join plusnet (who is also on the bradwell abbey exchange) what are the chances of him getting on the trial too (his postcode is MK10 7AB, currently recieving 250kbps) ?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

That postcode isn't showing in my dataset, I've not actually got any that start MK10 7 at all showing up. I've asked them before about postcodes that aren't in the list and they've said they won't be included in the trial unfortunately.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
jonnywishbone
Grafter

Thanks jonnywishbone, I've checked your postcode and you're in the available area so I've pencilled you in as line number 5 (note this doesn't commit you to anything). The customer trial is due to begin at the beginning of July so I'll be in touch a little before then with more details.
Our first test line is due to go live tomorrow with any luck.

How is the first test line going?
And I assume that as a plusnet customer you will contact me via my account details and I need not PM you any details so that you may get in touch when the july trial is due to go live?
Any more info would be greatly appreciated as I know there alot of people out there watching this thread with great anticipation.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sure, time for a quick update.
Openreach are currently busily installing fibre around the 2 exchanges that are going to be a part of the trial. We're expecting Bradwell Abbey to be available for the trial during the first week of July. Not all of the areas that are going to be included in the trial will be available on day 1 so at the moment I don't know when each of the people who can be a part of the trial will be able to take part. Should know that a bit nearer the launch.
Highams Park shouldn't be too far behind Bradwell Abbey. We are expecting 2 further exchanges to be added later in the trial. These are still TBC (and yes I have suggested mine :)).
Our test line is live and was installed on time without issues. It's currently connected using a Thomson TG789vn router, Thomson have been on site to test out various configs on the router. We're limited on our side to 21Mbps throughput but it's connected at 100Mbps down 15Mbps up.
As soon as I know I can place an order I'll be in touch, I'll send out a ticket as there will likely be more information I'll need to let you know then and information I'll need from you (such as how far it is from where the phone line comes in to your house to where you'll be installing the router and what dates you'll be available).
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology