cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre to the Premises - FTTP Trial

vfrvulcan

Re: Fibre to the Premises - FTTP Trial

Hi,
Any idea on timescales currently involved for the trial? I signed up on 25th April but not had a single email yet saying one way or other.
Currently on Fibre Unlimited with FTTP enabled on cabinet
TIA
Aaron
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: vfrvulcan

Currently on Fibre Unlimited with FTTP enabled on cabinet

So are you saying that you're already on FTTC?
If so, what will actually be available for your cabinet area will be FTTPoD (on Demand) not native FTTP, and which is unfortunately a different far more expensive option.  Look for other threads on the subject in this forum (of which there are several fairly recently), but here's one example.
madjbright
Grafter

Well, I placed my request to go onto the FTTP trial on 29th March. After a couple of periods waiting and a BT site survey I have been told today by PlusNet that they want £3277 to complete my FTTP installation. I am not sure where this comes from because the estimate for FTTPoD at a distance of 1km from the aggregation point is only £2500. I am less than 25m from my aggregation point (new pavement chamber which may house a manifold rather than an aggregation point). Read the whole saga on Thinkbroadband at http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4330961-how-much-does-it-cost-to-have-fttp-installed.html
forge

Having been checking the status for my exchange (Hethersett). it should now be accepting orders for either FTTC or FTTP. as my cabinet has not had a fibre cabinet installed i am expecting to be on a FTTP connection. Sam Knows shows only FTTP to be available (from 30/06/14) for my post code.
Can i request FTTP from you via this post and can someone send me further details of its availability on my exchange.
Thanks Jon
Grandpa
Grafter

@Forge, You need to put your request in to join the FTTP trial Here https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html?Ea82ChdSAqqwtYJcjZV%2Fjl8BeHfnW7ogmaSnKhd%2BF%2B%2FFyRVJeE...
A more accurate method of checking what is available is to use your phone number on this site http://www.dslchecker.bt.com
tigercook
Dabbler

Hello my exchange has been enabled I have two tickets open, please could you let me know the process, are we talking days or weeks to get accepted and connected many thanks Neil
2 Jul 2014 87958033
2 Jul 2014 87947291
Great news!
It looks like you can get fibre broadband straightaway, and have access to Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) with predicted speeds of up to 330Mbps.
Choose which internet service provider has the package that suits you best from the FTTP Service Providers page and contact them to place your order.
tigercook
Dabbler

hi, any advise or experiences on previous new rollouts from other members?
Grandpa
Grafter

If you have checked you can get FTTP (See my above post for link), Then put in a request to join the FTTP trial using the link in the same post above
(Its important that you use this link as most of the normal PlusNet staff are not aware that they even offer FTTP)
It can take 2-3 weeks before you even get a reply to your request (If you haven't heard anything after 3 weeks I would ring them and find out what is happening, Tell them you want to talk to someone dealing with the FTTP trial)
I think things have improved since I ordered my FTTP so you shouldn't have a problem Wink
I would also PLAN how you want your FTTP setup, The first visit from BT is all external, they will install the cable and fit a termination box at ground level usually just below where your phone line comes in,
The 2nd BT visit is where they install your internal equipment and connect it up to the external termination box (This is the bit that needs planning)
If I remember correctly the internal equipment can be up to a maximum of 30m from the external termination box and you will need two mains power outlets near by (One for the BT modem and one for your router)
tigercook
Dabbler

Many thanks for the update..few weeks to go then, looking fwd to the experience.
Grandpa
Grafter

Here is an example of how I have set my FTTP up (Bit messy but works for me Smiley )
Note the setup only requires TWO power outlets, The 3rd one in my setup is just for the house phone.
External Termination Box
My Internal setup
Also note
1.  I have used my own router which is MUCH bigger than the one supplied by PlusNet.
2.  My router is connected to a network socket that goes to a 1gb switch in another part of the house (All my PCs, NAS, Printers etc are connected to this switch)
3.  BT ONLY fit the BT Modem and Battery Backup (They may fit the router if required but it is easy enough to fit yourself if they don't), BT DO NOT fit any Mains power sockets.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Quote from: tigercook
Many thanks for the update..few weeks to go then, looking fwd to the experience.

Hi tigercook,
I will pick up your ticket this afternoon for you  Smiley
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Melancholie
Grafter

Quote from: Grandpa
Here is an example of how I have set my FTTP up (Bit messy but works for me Smiley )

Given this is the closest 99% of us will get to that set up for the foreseeable I am sure we could cope with that! Smiley
Packer
Dabbler

I've just applied for this trial, as I am lucky enough to be in an area where it is possible. What lead times are people currently experiencing with this?
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Quote from: Packer
I've just applied for this trial, as I am lucky enough to be in an area where it is possible. What lead times are people currently experiencing with this?

Hi,
I have recently been catching up on FTTP orders and have reduced the lead times to around a week on most occasions.
However I will pick up your trial ticket for you this afternoon to speed up the process a bit.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
dcuk2k14

Hi,
Just applied for the trial, BT have just signed off the FTTP in our area.  Smiley
Been in the new house for just under 2 years now, so would be nice to get this in ASAP and get rid of the crappy 3.5Mb I'm currently getting...
Kind regards,