Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre to the Premises - FTTP Trial

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: Fibre to the Premises - FTTP Trial

Sorry for not replying for a while, I've been away.
stottfold - unfortunately it looks like your area isn't covered by the trial
adkchum - the guys have picked up your ticket by the looks of it and we're just waiting until the appointment now
imustbemad - looks like we're still waiting on BT to let us know if the ducting work has been done, do you know if they've been out yet?
thomjo - do you get 128k all the time or every evening or just that one day? Cisco VPN on the standard port is picked up as VPN by the traffic management systems, if you run on a non standard port then it could get misclassified as it won't check for it on every port.
sohara - not heard of any areas being added but will ask on Thursday's call and see what they say
lightbeing - unfortunately like stottfold your area isn't being included in the trial. The trial is completely separate to what they've done before and has completely different infrastructure. I know they are going to review the area to see if they can infill any of the areas, probably with FTTC but that's still at least a year away.

A quick update on the FTTP trial. BT have just made the first areas of Highams Park live, so if there's anyone on that exchange, check the availability checker and see if you can get it yet.
One change for the trial, from now on all orders will be done as 2 step installs. That means that there will be 2 appointments. The first to do the external work and the second to do the internal. The idea is that you wouldn't need to be present for the first appointment just the second so they can cut down on the amount of time you need to be at home and also aim to reduce the number of orders where they run out of time because they now effectively have a full day for the external work and a half day for the internal work.
For any orders already in progress as single appointments, no need to worry they will stay as they are, just any new orders we place from now onwards will be 2 step orders.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
imustbemad

Hi Dave,
From my experience I think the two step install is the right way.  No waiting around to find out that the ducts are blocked.
I've just had the OR engineer here today to complete my install.  Everything went fine BUT - my download is still 450kbps, while the upload is 14Mbps !!
(updates done, 'old' router switched off, wired & wireless connection)
Please can you check my profile to see if my download is limited to 450kbps as a couple of weeks ago I had aproblem with my copper connection and I'm thinking there might be a cap on my download speed.  Failing that  is there any other suggestion you can make ?
Thanks,
Rob.
Pmartin71

Hi Dave,
Can I join the fttp trial please? Ticket number 40659900 has been raised.
Many thanks!
mudstuff
Grafter

Hi Dave,
My FTTP has been intermittent for the last few days and I keep being directed to a BT Wholesale error page (image attached). I'm in Monkston Park.
Strangely, I'm connected to my home pc remotely right now with TeamViewer but have problems with the web on all devices...any ideas???
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Rob - looks like one of my colleagues has already picked this up and updated your account, can you let us know if you're still seeing any problems please?
Pmartin71 - welcome to the forum, I've replied to your ticket, if you can reply back letting us know when you'll be available for the engineer visits we'll get things moving for you
mudstuff - seen a couple of people seeing that, I'd suggest specifying the DNS servers in the router and seeing if that makes a difference. DNS servers are 212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
mudstuff
Grafter

Quote from: dave
mudstuff - seen a couple of people seeing that, I'd suggest specifying the DNS servers in the router and seeing if that makes a difference. DNS servers are 212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10

Thanks Dave, changed it from automatic and will see if it makes a difference. Never had this problem before, started wed or thurs...
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've seen 3 or 4 the same on fibre, there's a couple of others posts about it. It's something we used to see on ADSL but I've not seen it for a while. What happened was that the connection would drop and be unable to reconnect immediately so would get authenticated by BT instead of us and the router would be assigned a BT IP address and DNS servers. Those DNS servers though always return the same result (the IP address of that web page). After a couple of minutes your connection reconnects with us and everything looks fine except somewhere the BT DNS servers have been cached and so some results that get returned send the address of that green page. Specifying our DNS servers on the router means this can't happen.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
mikeyriot
Grafter

Not that I've seen that issue on C, but Is that specific to FTTP?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thinking about I think they were all on FTTP, but might be wrong. Might be the router we're using but I'll ask if the other trial customers have seen anything. We're going to use a Zyxel router for a bit once we run out of the Netgears to see how that compares.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
hmarshy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi Dave
I have a Netgear router.
So far, touch wood, I have not had seen this screen.
Hopefully, if I do, I'll remember the DNS settings.
Cheers
Howard
FttpPeter
Dabbler

Dave
I too am on FTTP and have the Netgear router and have not seen this screen. I've had the DNS settings you recommend for most of the time since got FTTP last November, I think.
Peter
bigladuk
Grafter

Running the Zyxel and an Apple Airport extreme on FTTP and seen no problems at all.
Dave, the Zyxel is performing perfectly both as a router and wireless access point 🙂
thomjo
Dabbler

Netgear router and I have had the BT Wholesale screen issue the odd time - usually lasts no more than a couple of minutes.  Have put  the DNS setting to static from auto as suggested (thanks Dave) and will report back if any further issues.
John
chrisdearden

Dave,
I'm on the Bradwell Abbey Exchange , but when I registered for the trial I got a (possibly templated)  reply indicating I wasn't on the right exchange ? I'm in Willen Park , where it does seem there are other trialists - I have a nasty feeling I'll be in the wrong bit of willen park ?
regards,
Chris
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Hello Dave,
I would like to be considered for the FTTP trail if there are still spaces available. I'm based on the Bradwell Abbey exchange and live in Walnut Tree. My plusnet user name is gsmlnx
Regards
George
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT