Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed slows down at peak times(?)

clanla
Grafter

Fibre speed slows down at peak times(?)

Hi

We were connected up to FTTP about three weeks ago on the 38Mbps speed and it is generally working great (being about 20 times what we got on ADSL).  The Ookla speedtest mostly shows it solidly at the right speed.  However at what I guess to be peak times (mostly weekends and evenings) it is often much slower, typically in the 20s but sometimes even below 10.  I am confident that it is not that I am doing other things while running the speed test.

Can anything be done about this?

6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Fibre speed slows down at peak times(?)

If the speeds drop at peak times I'd definitely advise reporting a fault to us at https://faults.plus.net so we can get this looked in to.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
clanla
Grafter

OK, will do that the next time it is on a go-slow.

Thanks.

clanla
Grafter

I have submitted a ticket (#152126346) but it doesn't seem to be getting me very far. I have pointed out three times now that it runs slow at peak times, along with details of speedtest results including a file of results showing that it is at peak times that it slows down, but so far no progress has been made.  Should I expect that it takes 6 days for a reply every time I provide answers to questions on the ticket?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry about the lack of response on your fault ticket.

It looks like your service is running on a hot virtual path.

This pretty much means that the equipment at the exchange is overutilised and above threshold. This was due to be fixed on the 30th June. We've been advised that the new fix date is set for November this year.

Instead of waiting, I've contacted our suppliers to see if we can move your service to a cooler VP.

This is possible, but there are only 2 other VPs available.

One of which is in the same state as the one you're currently provided by.

The other one is just below threshold which means it's almost in the same state. I've arranged for your service to be moved to that one which should happen within 24 hours, but I'm advised that it's simply a matter of time before that's also impacted.

Sorry that it's not the best of news.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
clanla
Grafter

OK, thanks Anoush.  That probably explains why even though the area was all wired up a little while ago only a proportion of residents are able to order FFTP at the moment.  I guess OpenReach is rationing the release until the servers are available.  Yet another case of superb planning on the part of OpenReach. Assuming that it is OpenReach that provide the kit.

Thanks for your help

Colin

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I think the responsibility lies with BT Wholesale, but yeah it doesn't sound like good planning.

No problems, hopefully you'll get a bit more speed tomorrow and it holds until the fix is applied.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet