Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Trial to start tomorrow

derek268
Dabbler

Fibre Trial to start tomorrow

Hi
My posting on 04/02/2010 Fibre Trial to start next week (not answered)
Have put message earlier on ticket #38597039 which hasn't been responded to.
BT engineer due tomorrow morning but no router delivered as at time of posting this note.
Please give me a call to let me know what is happening.
Regards
Derek
15 REPLIES 15
derek268
Dabbler

Re: Fibre Trial to start tomorrow

Needed to call Plusnet Customer Services as getting nowhere fast with ticket or forum.
Found out that router I was told was posted last Friday wasnt posted till yesterday.
Can now only keep finger crossed that it turns up before engineer leaves tomorrow.
mxs
Grafter

Hope the modem gets with you in time tommorow but if it does not get with you in time as a temporary measure you can connect the fibre modem directly to your PC with an ethernet cable and use it that way (just set up the connection on the PC as PPPoE using your usual username/password).  If you decide to do this then best make sure you have a firewall enabled on the PC though otherwise it will be unprotected and open to the world. Wink
derek268
Dabbler

tnx mxs I shall bear that in mind.
tnx again
Derek
derek268
Dabbler

Hi
Had BT Openreach engineer call this morning.
He said couldn't carry out fibre connection as had not received router from Plusnet.
He said connection has to be made through router and not direct to computer.
Based on that, rightly or wrongly, I have to assume the info I was given by Plusnet CSC on phone to me yesterday was incorrect.
So, so far have had a WASTED MORNING and an engineer has to come back again.
Thanks Plusnet for not sending router out sooner.
derek268
Dabbler

Today's Normal postal delivery has not produced a router.
So where is it?
derek268
Dabbler

Called PN CSC today in regards router.
Found out that order for router was only dealt with at 2347hrs Monday, so very earliest pickup would be Tuesday.
As the install was due Wednesday there was every likelihood it wasnt going to arrive on time.
Plusnet should have been aware and tried to make alternative appointment.
BT Openreach meant to be calling me back later.
Where's the joined up thinking, or am I expecting too much these days.
puffin
Grafter

While the service from Plusnet is clearly disgraceful, I'm equally amazed at the behaviour of the Openreach engineer.
Sure, when they do BT installs they expect a Homehub and are trained on how to install it, but for the rest of us I was under the impression that the engineer disowned that part and simply put the modem in.  I know when mine was done (6 months ago) I had to stop him leaving before I'd wired up the router and checked that the whole thing worked because as far as he was concerned if the modem is syncing then that's his job done.
jedi98
Grafter

Well the Openreach engineer is just plain wrong about having to have a router. While I would not advocate it as a permanent solution (security / flexibility) it is perfectly valid to connect a PC up to the Openreach box and PPPoE in as pointed out by mxs.
Picnic
Grafter

Quote from: jedi98
Well the Openreach engineer is just plain wrong about having to have a router.

Indeed, if you use monowall or any of the other Linux based firewall systems a PC is your router.
derek268
Dabbler

My main concern was security and wanted to ensure I had a good connection before engineer left.
I was told by Plusnet that engineer doing installation would ensure all is in order before he leaves as they are paying them enough to do it, so believed engineer doing right thing.
Also concerned to ensure the router is able to connect to the Internet and all phone sockets, master and extensions are working.
Waiting for router to arrive and  with a new appointment hopefully all will then go to plan.
Your inputs are much appreciated
Derek
oakwoods
Dabbler

Same problem here. No router was sent but worse, the evening before the engineer was due, I phoned Plusnet and was told the email was wrong and the BT engineer would bring one. Needless to say the BT engineer did not have many good words about Plusnet. I am plugged in directly to the BT modem but I have no network as the LAN2 port on the modem is not operational. Phoned Plusnet who apologised for the misinformation and they have promised to send a router but they have confirmed that it is not a gigabit router so I will have to buy my own anyway. Have to say I wish I had gone to BT Infinity rather than being persuaded to join the trial when I phoned for a MAC code. So far this has taken over 5 weeks.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Sorry to go off-topic...
oakwoods, why buy a new router... (especially when there aren't than many gigabit routers anyway and you don't need one for wireless)...  just do as I do and get a gigabit switch (£20->30) and connect router and rest of network to it. FTTC is only 35Mbs tops so you don't need a gigabit port to max it out, a 100Mbs will do just fine.
derek268
Dabbler

Oakwoods
The router turned up lunchtime today, only a day and a half after engineer called.
Have left a note on ticket to that effect, but as usual no response from PN and they supossedly monitoring situation.
Bt were supposed to call me, but haven't.
Will give PN a call in morning.
+++++
Peter Vaughan
Yours re gigabit switch will bear that in mind
Derek
derek268
Dabbler

Just an update.
As expected I had to make a call to PN as had heard nothing from them or BT Openreach.
Got thru to the CSC and as usual they couldn't do anyhthing except pass message on and get someone from FTTC team to call me later today.
There should at least be some provision where if they cant answer a customer query that they put the customer through to more knowledgeable people or is that too simple.
But not holding my breath. Perhaps I'm getting too cynical in my old age.
Still lets see what transpires.
Derek