cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre - Trial or roll-out? To invest or not to invest in a media streamer

livinginhope
Grafter

Fibre - Trial or roll-out? To invest or not to invest in a media streamer

So- I have the FTTP, its whizz bang fast. I have stuff all over the house which works at a mixture of speeds - some of them enhanced by powerline adapters - others slower through the Netgear wireless router.  Its time to make some decisions...like - do I get a media streamer and take real advantage of the new capability - or do I wait to see if this trial actually becomes permanent? You would think that BT couldnt just stop and walk away - but would they?
I guess the best decision would be to wait a few months and see what happens - but patience has never been a virtue for me when it comes to technology.....
Does anybody out there know the way the wind is blowing on this? Is there a BT insider who knows its 99% definite? I NEED to know....... Smiley
4 REPLIES 4
hmarshy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Fibre - Trial or roll-out? To invest or not to invest in a media streamer

Hi
I'm on the FTTP trial, hence my interest.
I'm not sure what you mean by:
do I wait to see if this trial actually becomes permanent?

The trial is not permanent, I guess when the trial is over Plusnet will offer FTTP products to those customers who are eligible.
In this post http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,92150.0.html Dave stated on 7th January:
We've got an indicative idea of what the Wholesale FTTP pricing will be, we don't know exactly yet. From a trial perspective we're happy to leave everyone that takes part on 100Mbps/15Mbps after the trial at no extra cost.

Does that help in any way?
Cheers
Howard
livinginhope
Grafter

Well, yes and no. My question is really about whether I can confidently invest in technology that will only work on fibre - my ADSL is 1.4MB so its a non-starter for streaming. If the trial ends and all people on the trial keep the fibre connection (paying for it, obviously) then fine - I just wanted some confirmation that at the end of the trial they dont take the connection away - for whatever reason.
youngsyp
Grafter

When the trial ends in July, all those with FTTP connections gained through the trial, will keep them, if they so wish. Dave advised this a couple of weeks ago in another thread on here.
With that in mind, go for the streamer.  Smiley
Without wanting to state the obvious, your ADSL plan download/ upload capacity allowance will be chewed through very quickly with your FTTP connection and that you still have the same traffic management that you had with ADSL too.
Paul
livinginhope
Grafter

well thats good news and yes, I will have to keep an eye on the usage, no doubt!
I do have a PS3 but its streaming ability is a bit of a joke - so looks like I'm into searching for that streamer...