cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre + Lovefilm + PS3 + Plusnet Extra = data usage dilema

jonnywishbone
Grafter

Fibre + Lovefilm + PS3 + Plusnet Extra = data usage dilema

I can't wait to blow the dust off my ps3 and start streaming unlimited movies in glorious HD onto my 1080p projector Cheesy
This would never of have been possible on my old adsl so I have alot to be thankful for when it comes to Plusnet and FTTP Kiss
But here in lies the dilema, If I want to Stream unlimited lovefilm HD content then something will have to give way due to download limitations Embarrassed
Having FTTP on a 60gb downlaod limit is like having a Bugatti Veyron to pop to the local shops and back during a fuel crisis. I know I can schedule downloads after midnight (which doesn't bother me in the slightest) but that doesn't work for xboxlive, movie streaming etc etc in a tech laden busy family home. When a fibre product is fully launched next year please please please please address this issue. The future is here and on demand data intensive HD media will become "the norm" in every house inside 3 years time where broadband permits. Heck I remember when they said HD was just a fad, IPTV is not a fad and will revolutionise the way we intake media but your download limit needs to meet its expectations.
Also, I heard the plusnet radio ad campaign last night for the first time in Milton keynes, very funny indeed - especially the "good honest broadband from Yorkshire" bit (being a Blade and all  Tongue ).
14 REPLIES 14
youngsyp
Grafter

Re: Fibre + Lovefilm + PS3 + Plusnet Extra = data usage dilema

As I understand it, you could have an 'unlimited' data package now with Plusnet, you just have to pay for it...
Paul
tom:quote
jonnywishbone
Grafter

ooops - I mean thats great news Grin
Only I cannot find it, can only find the pro package which has a 20gb limit.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you dont have any limit between midnight and 8 am
and PN dont have an unlimited package
jonnywishbone
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
you dont have any limit between midnight and 8 am

I didn't thnk they had a unlimited package,and as for midnight to breakfast time this is not generally when I like to stream HD movies or play XBL. I do however already schedule downoads/updates etc during this time.
Be3G
Grafter

youngsyp is correct in a way: unless Plusnet policy has changed, they stop charging you any more once you've clocked up £100 (i.e. £99, £99.99, something like that) of extra usage in a month, though I can't remember if that includes or excludes the monthly subscription. Though that is rather expensive for unlimited broadband – but on the other hand, considering that a FTTC line allows the consumption of 12TB data in a month, you could argue that £100 is not a bad price at all!
tomm
Grafter

Plusnet Business Broadband Option 3  says "Unlimited usage".
I'd imagine you are looking at significant increases for significant usage given the abilities to download & upload  lots of data. Plus the increased line rental for fttc/fttp.
Tom.
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: jonnywishbone
I can't wait to blow the dust off my ps3 and start streaming unlimited movies in glorious HD onto my 1080p projector Cheesy

You have read the FAQ for the Lovefilm on PS3 pages? It is a 1.6Mb stream, near DVD quality, so its not HD at all.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
youngsyp
Grafter

Yes they do as mentioned by tomm. http://www.plus.net/business/broadband/
Paul
jonnywishbone
Grafter

"You have read the FAQ for the Lovefilm on PS3 pages? It is a 1.6Mb stream, near DVD quality, so its not HD at all"
Bugger Embarrassed
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: youngsyp

Yes they do as mentioned by tomm. http://www.plus.net/business/broadband/

That's really unmetered rather than unlimited – the nature of the traffic management means that depending on what you're doing, your 40Mbps FTTC line or 100Mbps FTTP line could well be limited to 1Mbps or lower.
youngsyp
Grafter

You're of course right, the correct term we're looking for is un-metered. I think we we're all using terms in relation to what the ISP's use for un-metered data though, which is 'unlimited'.  Smiley
Paul
tom:quote
Be3G
Grafter

Oh I realise that, I wasn't trying to make a pedantic point about semantics – rather, my point was that it's just generally not a very good product to consider in the context of this thread, as the bandwidth limitations are such that no FTTx user would probably ever consider it to be a viable unlimited product! Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and  then it is £32 + VAT plus 24 month contract
bigladuk
Grafter

Quote from: jonnywishbone

Also, I heard the plusnet radio ad campaign last night for the first time in Milton keynes, very funny indeed - especially the "good honest broadband from Yorkshire" bit (being a Blade and all  Tongue ).

I'm a Miller LOL 🙂