cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Installed still on adsl download speed.

paulmcelroy
Dabbler

Fibre Installed still on adsl download speed.

Yesterday I recieved my plusnet fibre router after getting the visit from the engineer on tuesday and when I installed it I ran a speedtest and my speed still seems to be stuck on 6.74mb/s but the upload is at 1.67mb/s. So could someone from PN please give it a bit of a kick in the bum. Reading through the forums I see a few people have the same issue but it is quickly and efficiently resolved, just what I come to expect from plusnet <shameless flattery>. Cheesy
15 REPLIES 15
paulmcelroy
Dabbler

Re: Fibre Installed still on adsl download speed.

Sorry ticket number is 42370694
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Plusnet will change the profile as soon as BT inform them the installation is complete. You have to be patient for up to 2 days in some cases.
paulmcelroy
Dabbler

No problem, I suppose I can manage with 8meg fo another day or so.  Grin
bobmaclean
Hooked

I've been on fttc for 8 days now, not on the trial (Commercial product?), and my download speed is constantly about 7.2Mbps, compared to the originally estimated speed of 13Mbps and the current stated line speed of 37Mbps.  I only ever achieved max speeds of about 1.5Mb on my adsl Sky broadband because of long line problems, hence the move to fibre.    The speed I'm now achieving and the fact it doesn't cut off regularly is therefore marvellous in comparison, so I'm not complaining but obviously I'd be happy if it was nearer to the above-mentioned line speeds.  I've raised a ticket to see if it can be improved (42890426), and no doubt it'll be sorted eventually.  Having now seen this forum post I wonder if I might have the same problem, which is presumably rare or there would be more forum posts about it.  It's only very recently that fttc has become available where I live and there was a problem with the cabinet which delayed completion of the installation for a couple of days.  Using Ping Plotter I'm showing an average ping of about 21, but not sure if that's good or bad..
Epyon
Grafter

20ms is pretty good.
phil4
Grafter

It depends what you ping.... www.bbc.co.uk gives me 10ms.  On ADSL it was more like 60ms.
knowdice
Rising Star

Quote from: bobmaclean
and my download speed is constantly about 7.2Mbps, compared to the originally estimated speed of 13Mbps and the current stated line speed of 37Mbps. 

What sync speed did the BT engineer get when your FTTC was installed and tested?
bobmaclean
Hooked

Knowdice - There was a problem at the cabinet which took a couple of days to resolve so the OpenReach engineer couldn't do any live tests at the time.  Support have now responded, advising that BT's speed profiling is inconsistent and may be causing a lower speed.  They've taken it up with them so I should know more within 72 hours.  I previously mentioned that fibre is very new in my locality so I suppose everybody's on a learning curve.  As a new user I'm reasonably impressed so far by the responsiveness of Support, and even my reduced speed is far better than I had on adsl.
bobmaclean
Hooked

Not a BT fault at all.  It appears my line was still configured for the maximum ADSL speed of 8 Meg.  PlusNet changed the configuration to fibre and I'm now happily getting between 19 Meg and 23 Meg.  Not bad as I was originally told my max was 13 Meg.
Less happily, I was disconnected for about 2 hours during the South of England outage earlier this evening.  I had to hang on the phone for 20 minutes just to be told it was a general problem and had been reported.  A recorded message while I was waiting would have saved me time and freed up support staff to deal with other queries.
crossyman

fibre installed 03/06 fine all day yesterday  then 10pm last night back to under 1 meg and have been since is this normal ?very frustrating. Embarrassed
bobmaclean
Hooked

Crossyman - They do say it takes a few days to settle down but that seems a bit extreme.  In my short experience the sooner you raise a ticket with Support the quicker it gets sorted, so I can only suggest you raise one immediately.  Might be worth phoning them rather than doing it online, but I have encountered waiting times of up to 20 minutes.  😞
knowdice
Rising Star

I had FTTC installed in November last year, and certainly for the first 2-3 weeks I saw speeds varying all over the place...
First thing to check is that your Plusnet profile is correct @ 40mbs
When I saw speed drops, I power cycled both the BT modem and my router - Ideally if your router supports it you should try and "disconnect" PPPoE before power cycling, my Zyxel router didn't have this facility  Undecided
crossyman

thought i wasnt being paranoid rang tech help they sorted it out back up 31 m now happy days. Cool
Dav0
Dabbler

Just to bump ths along  :), I had fibre installed yesterday and I am getting a constant 4.9 mb since. Ran the BT speedtester and it stated that the ISP profile was 5mb, it also correctly stated my upload profile was 2mb. I've contacted tech support and they said I'll have to wait during the testing phase, but do I really need to wait ten days before I'll see any difference. It's hard to bear as the BT engineers said the line was good for 39.98 mb  Grin which is 10mb more than I was expecting to get. This is slower than my ADSL, so i 've just raised a a ticket, the number is 43690567.