cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback on Milton Keynes FTTP trial.

stormshadow
Grafter

Feedback on Milton Keynes FTTP trial.

Well it has been a couple of months now since the FTTP trial was activated so I thought it would be worthwhile giving some feedback.
After some initial confusion over booked engineer dates a local BT chap installed the internal fibre box. Unfortunately the Thompson kit that Plusnet sent me was for ADSL, never mind, as FTTP is ethernet I simply plugged my laptop in to test the service and all was fine and dandy, only got 30mbit down and I was told that over time it would improve.
Cool, I then bought a Belkin wireless router (PPOE) rather than faff around waiting for a replacement.
Unfortunately I have never achieved anywhere near the potential bandwidth of FTTP. I normally peak around 25 to 28mbit down. The upload speed is spot on at the 15mbit. This is tested using wired connection and multiple speed test sites including the official BT one.
I logged a call with plusnet and BT sent two sets of engineers, fibre test came back as perfect (13db ??)
One engineer suggested that the trials may be capped at 40 meg which would make sense, however nobody in plusnet or BT could confirm this. Basically is such a new product I guess that everyone is learning the ropes.
So bottom line, I am happy, of course. I have near 30mbit, yep I am a bit disappointed in not getting the full potential (I have no bragging rights down the pub LOL).
When you are downloading software and it takes longer to virus check than the actual download I can only imagine what the full fat 100meg service will be like once it is sorted...
4 REPLIES 4
bigladuk
Grafter

Re: Feedback on Milton Keynes FTTP trial.

Sounds to me like you have an FTTC profile which would only allow you to get 30mg.
I'm sure a mod will be along shorty who can check your profile at PN's end
Si
hmarshy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The upload speed of 15MB suggests an FTTP profile.
For FTTP the download speed is not good. I live in Monkston and have been getting an average of 92MB!  Cheesy
Having said that, there was a slight blip yesterday and it dropped to 41MB but I am used to occasional drops in performance.
Cheers
stormshadow
Grafter

Thanks both, I have had the profile checked and they said it was FTTP. It was the very first thing I mentioned, felt like a FTTC profile..
stormshadow
Grafter

Plusnet sent me a Zyxel box which I have just installed. Now getting 76 mbit  down 15 up Smiley
Switched back to the belkin and speed dropped back to 32 ish
Obviously even though the belkin is 100mbit, it isn't man enough or it's not negotiating with the BT wall unit properly..