cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP trial customer told to leave plusnet?

FIXED
peterknight3
Hooked

FTTP trial customer told to leave plusnet?

In Cornwall,  and have been on the trial since February 2015, found  it excellent. 

When our bill went up I did as I have before and rang to agree another  term of contract to get a better rate. This has always been easy before, but not this time.

No knowledge of fttp in th plusnet call centre,  no understanding that I could have fttp Internet,  and a separate copper phone line, which is what we have. I was avised to leave Plusnet and go to BT.

So, questions. 

Can I stay with Plusnet, and still get fttp?

Is there any way to control the cost? We are now on the roll on fibre cost of about £35 a month,  appropriately a £ 10 increase over last year?

Can we delete are phone line hire, as we do not use it, to reduce the cost? It is a separate copper wire, paid for with Plusnet.

Anyone know the cost of fttp with bt? It doesn't seem to be published,  or is it the same as their other fibre charges?

A Big Ask! Can plusnet call centre staff be trained that there was once a fttp trial, and people saying they have fttp are not bonkers?

16 REPLIES 16
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: FTTP trial customer told to leave plusnet?

@peterknight3 

Because it's a Trial, very few staff know anything about it. You need to attract the attention of one of the few on here (not looking at anyone @Gandalf  (again!!!)) to sort thing out.

FTTP is priced at the same cost as PlusNet FTTC offerings so, while there was a price increase in December it shouldn't account for your figures on FTTP alone. I suspect your other offerings will be involved.

Because it's a Trial, no deals per say are on offer for FTTP. It's a simple 30 day contract job I believe.

You may well be able to cancel your phone line but you need someone on here to speak to you. If it's still possible then there's a £2.50 surcharge for internet only.

Brian

peterknight3
Hooked

Thanks Brian. Great to find this forum to convince me I wasn't going mad. Looking forward to Gandalf!
Peter
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@peterknight3 

I agree with @bmc  that even with the price increases the cost for FTTP alone wouldn't come anywhere near £35pm, so the price of your copper phone line / call package is probably accounting for the difference (although I'm not sure if you'd be paying more than that because of PNs policy of still charging more for exchanges in different 'Market categories')

I think the present prices (after the £2 increase last December) for the two most recently sold tiers for FTTP are £16.99 and £21.99 if you have your copper phone line with PN.   I think the extra for not having your phone line with PN is £3.50pm (not £2.50).

It's pot luck whether the PN person you speak to on the phone knows about the existence of FTTP or not, and I was pleasantly surprised that the person I spoke to when attempting to get a discount actually was aware, see my post #12 in the Price Increases thread started by @bmc 

I don't have a PN phone line so my basic monthly price for 80/20 FTTP is £25.49 but MINUS the discount negotiated and MINUS a couple of referral payments.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Peter, thanks for your post and I'm sorry to see you're struggling to get a cheaper deal with us on FTTP.

While we may have recontracted some of our FTTP customers in the past for a cheaper deal (even though our FTTP terms advise there's no minimum term contract), unfortunately there's been a relatively recent decision not to as it's no longer feasible to do this due to the way our systems are set up.

We can certainly cease your phone line though as you don't need it on FTTP, moving you on to a broadband only package [Currently Unlimited Fibre (Without Phone) is £20.49, and Unlimited Fibre Extra (Without Phone) is £25.49 per month]. We can't change your account between fibre packages on FTTP for the same reason as we can't recontract you.

You'll lose your landline phone number though with no guarantee we'd be able to get it back for you in the future. If you want to keep your number but still go onto a broadband only package, best bet is to transfer that out to another provider. Let me know if you do go down that path so I can try to make sure nothing unexpected happens to your FTTP service/account.

It's also worth noting that if you'd want us to provide a phone line to you again after it's ceased with us, we may need to arrange an engineer visit with an installation fee (Currently that costs £49.99 to install a line), this is depending on whether the line remains 'stopped' or if an engineer connects the line to a nearby property at some point in the future.

If you want us to go ahead with ceasing your phone line and number understanding the above, could you reply to this ticket I've raised on your account with the date you'd want this to happen on? I'll then arrange this for you and reply back.

Finally, if you choose to go to another provider for FTTP (ideally we wouldn't want to lose you as a customer regardless what you've been told over the phone, I'm sorry if you were encouraged to leave Sad), your new provider would need to provide FTTP on one of the additional ports on your ONT box and we'd then need to cease your FTTP service afterwards manually because there's no currently no defined industry-wide 'transfer' process.

If you only have 1 port on your ONT box (I'd say that's unlikely if you've had FTTP since 2015 as I believe the boxes fitted back then had 3 or 4 ports on) we'd need to cease your FTTP service which bears a 7 day lead time (Something which can't be sped up, frustratingly!) and the new provider reactivate it remotely (Normally within 1 working day).

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
peterknight3
Hooked

Thanks Gandalf  and Rob.

Gandalf, Yes please,  I would like to move to a broadband only, no phone line fttp package as you describe  with Plusnet.

What is the next step?  Do you need my phone number address  and post code, so you can highlight the change required on my account?  If so, is this here on the forum, or by PM? Or can you get theses details anyway from my forum registration?  Let me know please. 

Best wishes, Peter 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Peter, Sorry I forgot to add a direct link to the ticket I raised on your account yesterday. You should find an open ticket if you go here https://www.plus.net/wizard/ you'd be able to reply to. I also emailed you at the time of raising the ticket, you won't be able to reply to the email but you can reply to the ticket online. 

Happy to pick this back up when I'm in the office on Monday for you. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@peterknight3 

If you want to keep your existing landline number you could port it out to a VoIP company.

That would usually incur a (smallish) one-off porting fee, and usually an ongoing charge of typically about £2.50pm to keep the number going, although I think Sipgate might not charge the monthly fee on their 'Basic' account (I think I've read that somewhere but I can't vouch for that without researching it).

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

This https://basichelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/208094315 seems to confirm no ongoing charges on the Sipgate BAsic account. There is a one-off £30 charge to port the number in though.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@RobPN wrote:

I think the present prices (after the £2 increase last December) for the two most recently sold tiers for FTTP are £16.99 and £21.99 if you have your copper phone line with PN.   I think the extra for not having your phone line with PN is £3.50pm (not £2.50).

Close, it's £15.99 for Unlimited Fibre and £20.99 for Unlimited Fibre Extra. Without phone, it's now £4.50 more due to the £2 price increase for broadband only packages from the 3rd December last year.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Gandalf wrote:

Close, it's £15.99 for Unlimited Fibre and £20.99 for Unlimited Fibre Extra. Without phone, it's now £4.50 more due to the £2 price increase for broadband only packages from the 3rd December last year.

Thanks for putting me right @Gandalf .  Thumbs_Up

I remember my overall monthly bill going up by £1 at some point about two years ago and for some reason I had it in my head that the £1 had been added to the £2.50 surcharge for not having a PN phone line.

Clearly I was wrong about that so I apologise if I've misled anybody by my ramblings in this thread or any time previously.   Embarrassed Embarrassed

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem it's all good Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Afternoon Peter, just to confirm the ticket I was referring to over the weekend is:  https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=198533047

If you click on that, you'll be directed to your account and once you've logged in you'll be able to add a reply. Cheers

Moderators Note: Link corrected

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
peterknight3
Hooked

Yes please to unlimited fibre without phone, at £20.45 a month.
Let me know if there is anything else I need to do, or if this will now happen.
Best wishes, Peter

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Peter, I've just added a reply to your ticket now

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet