cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP slow down?

WWPlus
Dabbler

FTTP slow down?

Is anyone else experiencing performance loss on FTTP?

When BTO installed the service a few months back, we were definitely achieving the Plusnet product's top speeds of around 70Mbps and low latency.

I'm still seeing a low latency to Plusnet's gateway (5-6 ms), but the connection is beginning to feel slow - noticeably pauses when loading websites, youtube videos etc.

I know, it could be wifi issues, but even so - my best speed tests are now showing 40mbps (on a wifi connection running at 145Mbps). This is a clear climbdown from ~70Mbps.

Is there contention on the network? Am I competing with my neighbours for Youtube, Netflix etc?

4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: FTTP slow down?

or more likely wifi problem - can you try wired

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WWPlus, as @Oldjim says a Wired Speed Test using the URL below would be very helpful and it help determine if it is a wireless issue.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

From your post we know you have neighbours, and the more of them that use wireless connections the more chance there is that the WiFi spectrum is being saturated which can affect your throughput.

If you complete the extended part of the test this will provide more information as regards your service.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Anonymous wrote:

If you complete the extended part of the test this will provide more information as regards your service.

To continue on to the further diagnostics section of the test, you'll need to enter your BBEU. I've confirmed your BBEU on a ticket on your account here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=154257167

I hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
WWPlus
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies everyone... BBEU not required in the end. 

Tested, wired, with BT and cruising at 74/20, so this appears to be a wifi issue. I'll see if I can push the Unifi up to fill 802.11ac speeds.