cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP question

chesterfield
Grafter

FTTP question

I have recently found out that the cabinet that serves my line is "not economically viable" so although our village is getting FTTC enabled at some point in 2013, unless the council decides to part fund our cabinet with some fo the BDUK fund, Im going to be out of luck for FTTC for a while.
However, here's a question...  If FTTP trials go well, and they proceed with FTTP on demand, would you think it possible that BT would put me in a new line connected to a cabinet that IS FTTC enabled if I stump up the cash for a FTTP install?  Surely given the cost of a FTTP install, it would be worth blowing fibre an extra couple hundred yards or so and take my money rather than leave me paying BT relative peanuts for a standard adsl line?
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: FTTP question

To be honest I doubt an FTTP install would be possible at all with out the actual cabinet your copper line is currently being connected to being fibre enabled. I realise obviously that the copper line would not be in use for FTTP but AFAIK BT will only allow an FTTP install onto the same cabinet.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chesterfield
Grafter

I was fairly sure the answer would probably be "no".
However, looking at it from a business point of view, one would assume there is ducting available between a cabinet that is not enabled and one further into the village that is enabled.
BT could continue taking £10 a month in line rental from me and whatever they get from my broadband, which Im guessing is relative peanuts, or they have the opportunity of taking say £3k from me in one chunk and then continuing to take even more from me in the way of a monthly FTTP product...  at even £15 a month from me, it would be like handing over 16 years worth of payments to BT just for running fibre that extra few hundred yards to connect me to a different cabinet.
They could even use people like me who want to put up say £3k for that sort of service to offset the cost of upgrading a "non viable cabinet".  Meaning that those of us who are prepared to pay thousands will possibly allow BT to upgrade these unviable cabinets for free, or very cheaply - increasing the profit from customers that would have fibre at a reasonable cost if their cabinet was upgraded.  Then they can switch our lines back to the correct cabinet and everything is back as it should be, but with a minority of residents having funded the cabinet.
A plan?
AndyH
Grafter

Getting a new line to a different cabinet/exchange is not impossible.
Back in the early days of ADSL, I managed to get BT to do exactly that. But it took months of persisting at various development/planning/provisioning people within BT. I think they got so sick of me after a while, they caved in.
You could technically order a new phone line from BT on the basis that it will be connected to FTTC enabled (or due to be enabled) cabinet. If they process the order and do not connect it to the different cabinet, you can then really push them to do something about it.