cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP problems

Ipmdfm1
Dabbler

FTTP problems

Hi, I have been on the FTTP trial for over 3 years, I pay for the fastest speed 80mbs, but never get anywhere near. Lately, I am.constantky losing connection and having to reset the router, it cant cope with 3 of us on zoom calls either, I constantly lose connection. I've changed the channel but no better. Today it dropped from 38 to 0.1 as soon as my son went on a call, is it likely to be a router, I'm thinking of moving over to BT after overc10 years with plusnet
11 REPLIES 11
cOmp
Rising Star

Re: FTTP problems

Please excuse my ignorance, thought Plusnet were not taking part in FTTP?

Do you mean FTTC maybe?
Yorkshire and Proud. Embarrassed to be with Plusnet.
Ipmdfm1
Dabbler

I'm.on the FTTP trial and have been for 3 years on supposed 80/20
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to FTTP Trial.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@cOmp wrote:
Please excuse my ignorance, thought Plusnet were not taking part in FTTP?

Do you mean FTTC maybe?

PlusNet had a long running FTTP Trial which closed to new entrants a couple of years ago. Thankfully those on the Trial continue to receive the service.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@Ipmdfm1 

Are you checking your speed on WiFi or Wired connections. Wired is always best.

The PlusNet router is not the best when it comes to WiFi.

Brian

Ipmdfm1
Dabbler

Wifi, I'll try wired in the morning and see what that gives. Although I'm seriously thinking of moving to something faster, 3 people on zoom calls seems to be a challenge
edwh
Rising Star

Are you using a Hub One? There’s a long running thread here about WiFi challenges on this router: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/td-p/1696363

I’m on the 80/20 service and even with all of us at home the connection doesn’t skip a beat. We’ve one heavy Netflix user and the rest of us are continually on a mix of Teams / Zoom / video conferencing type calls during the day with no noticeable effects from one to the other. I’m not using a Hub One though.

Ipmdfm1
Dabbler

Tried ethernet, still the same, however see the post below, sounds like my issues
Ipmdfm1
Dabbler

The issues they describe are exactly what I have, how on earth fo I check if I need a download, is it by going into the internet for the hub
bmc
Hero

@Ipmdfm1 

On a wired connection with no other devices in use you should get near your chosen speed ie 40/10 or 80/20.. I get high 36 down and high 9 up.

If you're not getting this then you have a potential fault. Have you re-booted your router? You can also (perhaps should) re-boot your ONT. If you have a fault then Customer Service won't be any use as the FTTP Trial doesn't show up on the PlusNet system so they tend to know nothing about it. You need a wizard like @Gandalf to respond on this thread.

The PlusNet router is a re-badged BT HH5 - many PlusNet uses have bought a HH6 off eBay and use that. There are threads running on what's required to do this. While you would indeed be able to get faster speeds elsewhere you'll pay more money (even for an 80/20 service). 

Brian

Ipmdfm1
Dabbler

Thanks Brian, after rebooting for the 5th time today, I moved to BT, I've given in !