cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP on FTTC package

bilmcbob

FTTP on FTTC package

Hi I recently signed up to a standard broadband Package on plusnet as don’t have fibre yet. However we are due to have FTTP installed on our estate in the next couple of months and was wondering if plusnet could still get the ONT installed and even though the FTTP trial has ended if I could just use a FTTC package and speeds? Anything to have more than 1.8mbps?
4 REPLIES 4
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: FTTP on FTTC package

Welcome to the forums @bilmcbob

As you have seen the FTTP Trial is at an end and Plusnet mean just that. No new signups on FTTP.

Most of us on the FTTP Trial have FTTC speeds anyway as Plusnet only offered 40/10 and 80/20 (The FTTC speeds) on the trial for the past few years. (It was only those that got on in the early days 2011/12 that got the higher speeds).

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
bilmcbob

Thanks @SpendLessTime
Do you think plusnet would still be able to install the ONT and do me package based on FTTC or do you think that would be a no go?
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@bilmcbob

FTTP and FTTC  are totally different technologies so the answer is No. Nobody could.

FTTC comes through copper phone lines.

FTTP from a fibre link.

Totally incompatible.

While the speeds on FTTP can be the same as FTTC, the methods involved in the delivery is totally different.

Plusnet are not going to install any more fibre ONTs until they decide to release FTTP as a commercial product. And there is no time line for that. Indeed a post last week by staff, said they would be surprised if it happened in the immediate future.

So as it stands you would need to move to an FTTP supplier to get FTTP installed. But as the FTTP roll out isn't done in your area, things may change by the time you can order FTTP.

Sometimes the roll out programs hit snags and it may be longer than estimated. By which time your current contract maybe closer to ending so moving suppliers maybe not involve as much financial loss as currently.

Or heaven forbid, Plusnet make a commercial offering by that time so you can stay with Plusnet.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @bilmcbob,

As per SpendLessTime's response, without providing an FTTP service an ONT is not required. You can check the broadband products which are available using your telephone number on DSL checker.

My best advice would be to check DSL checker and the Openreach where and when website to see progress on FTTC / FTTP services.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional