cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP installed

digitalfixer
Grafter

FTTP installed

Got FTTP installed on Thursday, took them all day due to various issues with blowing the fibre from the distribution node, but the actual installation outside the house and installing the OTN was relatively quick.  I took part in BT’s previous Fibre trial in MK a few years ago and then they put the fibre in before even coming to the house, don’t know why they aren’t doing that now, as it would cut the customer visit down to just a couple of hours.
So now I have a little white box on the wall behind the TV with a CAT 5e patch cable into a socket next to it, which then links up to loft where I have the Router.  So for any of you who are worried about the 20/30 meter rule from the outside box to the OTN, don’t forget you can also run CAT 5e from the OTN as well, I believe it is about 100m worth.  Also doing it this way the OTN is right next to the Master socket if they start running VOIP over the fibre or enable some form of video service on one of the other ports on the OTN.
Speed test results all over the place as I suspect the target machines and the network backbone all come into play at 100mb, but did download a 4.5gb file from Microsoft last night in about 10 minutes which is brilliant  8).  The real problem now is that even with Extra’s 60gb limit I can see it is not going to be enough, need either a much higher limit or unlimited option, even if that comes at an extra cost  :(.  As I have just switched from BT Broadband to get on the trial, plus net could double the cost and I would still only be paying the same as I did for 2mb (on a good dry day).
Oh one final thing, I can annoy the neighbours  again at Christmas as the external Christmas lights always knocked out the ADSL line, no problem with Fibre.
5 REPLIES 5
DaveandKatie

Re: FTTP installed

Hi,
My FTTP installation is booked in for a week Monday and the OOH is freaking out about the cables that will be inside the house!
I'm guessing that the cable that comes in to the house is quite small and i can get some low profile trunking to protect it as i need to mount the ONT upstairs, could i ask a huge favour and could you describe what the installation looks like in the house as everything i can find on the internet is about the work outside.
Cheers
Dave
digitalfixer
Grafter

Hi I have attached a few photos showing the unit in place behind the TV.  As you can see there is a jumble of wires but that is for Satellite, TV, phone etc. The actual OTN is quite small and once mounted I think quite unobtrusive. 
The actual fibre cable coming in does so behind the Master Phone socket  and then runs along the top of the skirting up to the OTN via the green connector on the left. 
The grey cable is the Cat 5e patch cable that goes to the Router, in my case back into the wall and up into the loft.
The power to the unit is via a small plug in transformer which you can see is just strung between the plug and the OTN. I will have to look at trying to tidy this op and fix it some how.
If you look at the last shot you will see if you look closely the OTN on the right side at the back, effectively the TV hides the cable’s and the OTN. 
digitalfixer
Grafter

In case anyone is intrested this is the results I got off Plusnets own speed tester. 
DaveandKatie

Thanks for the info and pictures, my master socket is in my hallway by the front door and my router and network points are upstairs.
I'm think of asking them to come in next to the door and get some small trucking to go up the wall and through the ceiling into the room above.
How did they get to your master socket?
Sorry for all the questions  Smiley
digitalfixer
Grafter

The external phone/tv box is on the wall directly behind the master socket so they just drilled another hole and came into the master socket box.  From there it is about 1cm down to the skirting.