cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP installed but speeds erratic

GraemeAS

FTTP installed but speeds erratic

My installation went very straight forwardly yesterday, 1st Nov, BT Engineer, Terry, was excellent. Netgear set-up was also painless.
Speeds tested on Speedtest.net were initially in 25.97Mbps down, 15.12 up and 7ms ping rising to 52.98 down later in the evening. Early this morning it was 70.33, 15.15 and 7; the best so far. This evening however it's much lower and erratic...best 13.72, worst 3.42 down! 13.03 and 8.34 up! 86 to 140 ms ping!!!
All miles better than I had on copper, 1.6Mbps down but very inconsistent...
Graeme
Shenley Lodge, MK
3 REPLIES 3
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: FTTP installed but speeds erratic

Hi Graeme,
Glad the install went OK. I've seen a couple of other people seeing similar speed fluctuations. I've asked the trial team if they're seeing anything on their side (there is a finite amount of capacity going out of Bradwell Abbey and last count was 131 active lines on the trial and 93 in progress) so I'm wondering if it's hitting capacity. Looking at our network graphs it was quite busy last night on a couple of the gateways so might be worth disconnecting and reconnecting in case you were on one of the busy ones but with the high ping it's more likely to be BT side.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
f513toy
Grafter

I'll send statistics tonight when I get back home, but yes my speeds were all over the map last night in willen park - high as 56Mpa and as low as 3Mpa - Iplayer stuttering around 9:30pm for a few minutes. Assumed this was just things settling down and didn't really cause me a problem (or the son upstairs on WOW which is more important!).
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

BT have confirmed that the Bradwell Abbey exchange has been running "hot" the last few days. They're upping the capacity which should be done by the end of the week so there might be slower speeds tonight and tomorrow but hopefully back to normal by the weekend. Please keep me posted though as feedback you guys are giving on the speeds you see in the evening are being passed back to BTW to help with their planning rules.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology