cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP in MK - what speeds are you getting?

stormshadow
Grafter

Re: FTTP in MK - what speeds are you getting?

Thanks, first thing I did after powering it up was search and install the new firmware  Cool
dick:quote
gm6988
Dabbler

It's been a while since I've visited the forum but have been compelled to come back and it's interesting.
Let me summarise my story thus far: I had FTTP installed in August 2010 have used it now for 18 months but the last two months it's become very hit and miss on speed. I work at home a lot and tend to notice if the speed has dropped and for much of this year I see a drop in line speed about once a week quite often down to as low as just few hundred KB. Mostly I just reboot the router and it comes back to normal FTTP speeds after about 10 minutes, I tried reporting it once but didn't get too far, in fairness the guy did ask me to connect directly to the ONT but at the time I didn't have the time or inclination to start down that route. So now want to pursue this further, the service has been good....is largely good (I uploaded 30GB in about a day last week).
I use the orginal Thomson router that the trial people supplied, not my choice of a router....the UI to configure is super simple but don't don't if it just is unreliable or if the service is really subject to such great variances. Waiting for the service doesn't normally work....and frankly I can't tolerate a measley 1Mb service so just reboot the boxes. I suppose what I need is some advice about whether to log this and get some support activity going or if the router isn't really up to the job any more although as I said at times the speed is perfectly acceptable. An observation in my estate (in Loughton) is that there are increasing numbers of Openreach vans around with man holes open.....but can't imagine it's like the old days of copper where this could cause interference.
Final question - is the FTTP service still a trial.....after 18 months seems like a long time....but don't know if any ISP has turned FTTP into a fully fledged service but assume BT probably have?
Thanks
Glenn
yan74

Just to add my own experience to the list:
I've been on the trial for a few weeks now (FTTP in Loughton) and have been getting speeds of about 20mb D/L and 2mb U/L. Almost no interruption to speak of but apparently my uploads are capped because I joined the latter part of the trial. I wish there was a way to upgrade as I do a lot of ftp uploading...
Any of you guys had you uploads capped too ?
Cheers, Yan.
champson
Dabbler

I've been connected for about 18mths now. Im in Loughton and use the Netgear WNR3500 which was provided. The FTTP service has been consistently fast and reliable, I think it was only slow once for a day, but came back soon after. Speed fluctuates between 70-100Mbps any time of day. I dont rely on those Speedtesters too much, I find my actual download speeds are higher than they show, over 12MBytes/sec (around 100Mbps) when I'm actually downloading something. Upload is always consistent at just under 30Mbps.
I'm hard wired to the router with a Gig connection from my main PC.However, the wireless connections in my house are really slow, and Ive tried multiple laptops running b and g and multiple vendor dedicated access points, but always seems to detoriate in speed after a while, even sitting near the box. It was the same when I was on DSL.Doesnt make sense but if you are having slow response on wifi then run in some Cat5e cables and wall boxes to get the best results. Definitely do not use the WiFi on the router or it will slow down everything.
flaminmoses
Grafter

haha
love your sig
zero ping WTF im so jelus  Smiley
gsf600y

Newport Pagnell exchange here, in Giffard Park.
Went from ~2Mb/0.5Mb   to   ~32Mb/1.8Mb on 40/10 product.
Now get ~46Mb/15Mb on 80/20 product - so not a massive increase, and probably not worth the extra money (although the upload increase is nice)
EDIT:  Ooops, I'm on FTTC not FTTP Sad wrong thread.
kirk
Grafter

Hey all,
Just for your information if you don't already know. If you think they is a possible fault with the (PPPoE) router then you can always dial into the modem. You will have to connect your computer/laptop to the BT modem. Then follow the steps below.
Windows
Go to the Control Panel then Network Connections
Click Create a new connection
Choose Connect to the Internet
Select Set up my Connection Manually
Select Connect using a broadband connection that requires a username and
password (PPPoE)
Enter the ISP Name: Plusnet
Enter the Broadband Username and Password
Click Finish and click Connect
If you use Windows 7 it will try and test the connection during the setup, this will
fail and give you an error. Click Skip or Continue and then after clicking finish
right click the new connection icon and click properties. Under Service Name enter
(your ISP name) then click OK. Finally double-click the New Connection icon and click
Connect.

Mac
From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences
From the View menu, choose Network
Choose Built-in Ethernet from the Show pop-up menu
Click the PPPoE tab
Select the checkbox for Connect using PPPoE
Enter the Broadband Username and Password
Click PPPoE options and tick the Connect automatically when needed checkbox
Click Apply now