cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP download speed slow - was 40 Mbps, now about 1-2 Mbps!

FIXED
emorockernerd

FTTP download speed slow - was 40 Mbps, now about 1-2 Mbps!

Hi

I have been happily on your now closed FTTP trial since the end of August 2018. It has been perfect, very reliable. I am on your 40/10 package but on 25th Feb 2020 my download speed dropped to around 1-2 Mbps from 35-40 Mbps. Upload is also lower but still acceptable 5-10 Mbps. It may be related to my recent request to have a static IP address assigned. The slowness was noticeable after I rebooted my router to obtain the new static IP address. The original call is: 198752216

I have since had numerous calls to support and I'm wishing I had come straight to the forum. One tech support chap said an ADSL profile has been applied by Provisioning, but I'm not sure if that's true. Provisioning told me I could no longer have the service and it had been terminated. I needed to use ADSL or switch ISPs. I then raised a complaint and got the issue escalated and they said they would help me after all. The complaint is: 199424220

Both issues are still open. If anyone on here at Plusnet is able to sort this mess out, I'd be very grateful. Other than this issue, FTTP has been brilliant. I'd love to have it working speedily again. 

Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: FTTP download speed slow - was 40 Mbps, now about 1-2 Mbps!

Thanks for your post @emorockernerd 

Your post just caught my eye as I was logging off for the night, I'm sorry to see you're experiencing speed problems and apologies for the experience you've had getting this sorted. 

It looks like the speed profile on your account has been stuck at 2mbps from the days of standard broadband and when you added a static IP this then routed your connection through certain equipment which meant that this profile restricted your download speed as it was set too low below your actual line speed or in your case FTTP capability.

I've fixed the profile for you now and it's bumped up to 37mbps, the maximum it goes for the package you're on. Can you retest your speed and let us know what they're like now?

I'm arranging to get everything sorted out so it shouldn't happen again and I'll add more info to your ticket 199424220 soon.

[edit]

You'd likely need to reboot your router to basically accept the new change in profile btw.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
emorockernerd

Hi, thanks very much for your quick response, very much appreciated. I have rebooted my router and I'm getting faster speeds but not 37 Mbps. Last test was: 6.69 Mbps down and 8.26 Mbps up via my PC (wired) and speedtest.net. I'm using my own router Asus RT-N66U (vintage but awesome). Do I need to powercycle my FTTP box? Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Thanks for getting back to me @emorockernerd 

No problem, unfortunately the speed profile adjusted to 7mbps now a few minutes after I 'fixed' the problem on Friday night which explains the still below expected speed. I've bumped this back up to 37mbps. Can you reboot your router one more time and retest your speed posting back with the results?

I can't confrm the profile won't drop down automatically but if it does let me know and I'll move it back into place. I can confirm your previous standard broadband service is due to cease on Tuesday so this shouldn't happen again following that. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
emorockernerd

Hi, thanks again for investigating and helping. I knew something wasn't right! I have rebooted my router and done a speed test over WiFi and got 36.8 down and 9.87 up. I'm happy with that. It's much faster now. 

I thought my ADSL and phone line were terminated ages ago. Thanks for following up on those. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the post back @emorockernerd 

No problem, I'm glad to see your speeds are back to normal! Thumbs_Up

When we removed the phone component from your account, we didn't cease the phone line with our suppliers which left the broadband intact although that should've been ceased upon completion of your FTTP order.

All in all we seem to have handled things pretty badly. Sorry again for this. Sad

I'm going to check back after the line's ceased to try to make sure everything's gone smoothly. 

Feel free to let me know if there's anything else you'd need help with.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Just to post back to follow up and confirm that your unused standard broadband service has been ceased, and everything looks good and correct moving forward. If you have any further issues let me know. Smiley

[edit]

I've added a reply to your support ticket 199424220 with an offer for a goodwill gesture.

Let me know if you'd be happy to accept. Cheers

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
emorockernerd

I'm not in a happy place now, lots of account related things are happening and going wrong - please see: 199424220

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Really sorry to see what's happened.

I'm looking into this and I'll add a reply to your ticket soon

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
emorockernerd

Hi Anoush, please could you take a look at my account again? I didn't get the free month promised for this month and have been billed at a reduced rate, which you said to expect in June. I would have replied on the ticket but it has closed. Thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hiya. Thanks for the post back. 

Sorry for the mess we've made of this. I've created a new support ticket under ref: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=201423054 with further detail about this as I can't re-open the expired ticket. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet