cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP deployed, issue to property?

David_W
Rising Star

FTTP deployed, issue to property?

I queried superfastcornwall about when Fibre would eventually get turned on for me and their response is that FTTP has been deployed in my area but there is an issue with the connection to my property.  Can you shed any light on what the issue actually is and how to solve the issue if the issue is actually solvable?  If it isn't solvable, will I forever be stuck on ADSL?
131 REPLIES 131
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: FTTP deployed, issue to property?

How is your copper phoneline routed to your house, overhead from a pole or underground via ducting?
If overhead, can you see a manifold fitted to the fibre cable near the top of the pole?  The reason I ask is that although my town (when I last checked on the SFC site) now has 95% coverage by a mix of FTTC/FTTP and FTTP is available to me via overhead feed, a few weeks ago I found a pole down a lane between houses near me which still had its fibre cable coiled up and lying in the long grass/weeds at the bottom of the pole - clearly missed by the contractors.
Edit: Typo
David_W
Rising Star

There is a pole down the road but the fibre outside my house is underground (saw the men laying something a few months back) so how my house is connected to the exchange I have no idea.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

How far down the road is that pole?  A clue might lie in whether your copper phoneline is routed into your house via ducting or whether it is overhead, which is why I posed the question earlier.
I also have fibre underground right outside my house (the chamber is about 1 metre from my house wall) but that is routed under the road via a duct from the chamber to the base of a pole across the road from my house (as is the copper).  The copper (as will the fibre when I order it) then crosses the road again to my house via an overhead dropwire.
If you are in a similar situation then look at the pole which supplies your copper telephone cable and check for a black, roughly cylindrical, manifold which should have been fitted to the end of the black with yellow stripes fibre cable which runs up the pole.
I'd say check those things first before investigating further.
David_W
Rising Star

Can't see any black and yellow wires, though the guys from BT Fibre have been up that pole so don't know what they were doing there.  The guys from SFC stated :
It looks like fibre has been deployed in your area but there is an issue with the connection to your property.
Which suggests that the fibre is there but I can't get it which is why I was hopeful that PN could shed some light on the issue cause I really don't want to have to move just to get Fibre.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

So is your existing telephone cable overhead or not?  Undecided

Quote from: David
Can't see any black and yellow wires.....

The main body of the fibre cables are black with 1 or 2 thin yellow stripes running down them, so it may be possible that you can't see the yellow stripe depending on the orientation of the cable. Like this
The manifolds are about 1ft long and look like this

HTH  Smiley
Edit: Credit for images goes to www.thinkbroadband.com
David_W
Rising Star

It looks like to me (and I could easily be wrong) it goes underground from my property, through the estate before joining up to the pole, or it could quite easily not do that, I honestly have no idea.  The place I live is a new build, 4 years old I guess, the entire estate is a new build so it could be the wires go under the estate to a cabinet near the garage or out two one of two exits.  The only telephone pole I can see doesn't appear to have yellow and black wires though.  Ohh I could go and try to find the cabinet, 13 I think it was........
AndyH
Grafter

@ David W
Do you know which exchange you are connected to (you can find out here - https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/)? Have a look here http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-fastfibreaccess/downloads/sffa_exchange_lists/ac... and see if your exchange is listed and whether it is FTTC, FTTP or FTTC/P.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

It looks like to me (and I could easily be wrong) it goes underground from my property .....

If you can't see any overhead dropwire from a pole to your property then it's probably a safe bet that you have an underground feed  Wink
AFAIK the cabinet is pretty much irrelevant where FTTP is concerned as the cabinet itself is not used.  The duct route from 'my' pole to the chamber next to 'my' cabinet which carries the copper is almost certainly (but not necessarily so) the same route taken by the fibre.
David_W
Rising Star

@AndyH - my exchange has been live for ages, I was due FTTP in 2012 and BT should have just finished a phase here and are continuing work until 2014.  I asked SFC about my FTTP and my address/phone number gave the "it's enabled but your property" thing so that's where my query comes from.
If it is enabled I don't know why I can't get it, the underground bit is right outside my bedroom window and I'm right at the very back with another block of apartments so to wire up to there would be to wire the apartments so I have no clue what's up.  Like I said, I was hopeful that PlusNet would be able to have a look at the status (I'd assume they have the same information as super fast Cornwall) and would be able to tell me if fibre is there but not connected, not there but due, and if it is there but not connected why it isn't connected.  After all I'll be choosing PN as my fibre provider so it's their problem /passes the buck Tongue
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

..... and I'm right at the very back with another block of apartments so to wire up to there would be to wire the apartments .....

The devil might be in the detail here.  As you have referred to another block of apartments above, are you sayiing you live in a block of apartments?
If so, that might be the reason for you not being able to get FTTP, and you may have to wait a while longer because of this.  I think you need to get FTTB (Fibre To The Basement) and may have to wait for BT Openreach to announce that service in your area, BICBW.
AndyH
Grafter

They were trialling it ages ago locally here, asking for landlords/apartment block managers to contact them. I assume there needs to be some permission and agreement in place?
David_W
Rising Star

I'm even more confused now, someone replied on the SFC facebook page:
David, please see my comment on the post above. TR27 4BZ is also a Taylor Wimpey development, I used to live there. At a guess you have the same problem that we have they were too tight to fork out for the cable installation there. Our whole village is enabled, apart from our development. Houses 50 yards either side of us have superfast but the 70 houses on our development can not get it. We have been advised by our councillor to lobby BT as a group (we are forming a residents association)
But I saw outside the guys putting the stuff into the hole in the ground, might not have been the actual fibre but the stuff they put in before the fibre (rope? No idea) so now it's getting all convoluted and I may never get fibre, all this waiting to see is driving me loco.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Looking at your housing development on google maps, and from your description of where you are situated within the development, I think I can see three possible blocks of apartments in close proximity to each other.  Putting the address of a nearby house (number 61) into the checker says that it can get FTTP, so it's definitely available very close to you.
AIUI, the individual houses will have their own ducts feeding their copper telephone service in, which will then be used to feed fibre tubing through if/when an order for FTTP (FTTH) is placed, so presumably pretty straight-forward.
FTTB (Basement/Building) is just another flavour of FTTP.  The apartment blocks will also have ducts already installed to them but possibly not to each individual flat.  AFAIK (from what I've read elsewhere) BT Openreach will install a fibre into the building and terminate it with a splitter (I think it's called) and then it will be necessary to feed from there to each individual flat.  I believe they require a secure place to install this kit and won't install it into a public area such as a common stairwell - this is where the delay will probably be incurred while a place to install the kit is established.
IMO on the other hand, the apartment blocks don't appear to be particularly large so maybe they'll feed individual fibres to the flats once a route can be established, which might be considerably more economical and convenient.
By the way, the pole down the road at the entrance to the estate certainly looks as if it could do with a trim!
Good luck!
AndyH
Grafter

BT need a wayleave agreement to do anything to the apartments in the first instance.
You need to speak to your property developer as they have the correct points of contact at BT for MDUs. They should be able to raise whether you can get fibre (all the tubing/conduit should comply with the BT developer's guide - http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/network/developingournetwork/documentationandinformation/builde... because the BT checker won't be updated until a site survey has been done/wayleave agreement is in place.