cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP continual poor speed

simonp2
Hooked

Re: FTTP continual poor speed

Thanks for the info, I'm on a Mac but will have a look into this...

simonp2
Hooked

Yeah, we tried multiple ethernet cables so definitely not that either...

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@simonp2 As suggested by @RobPN  earlier you do need to test using a PPPoE connection from the Mac to the ONT so bypassing the router. How you do this on a Mac I cannot say but I expect you can search online. Variable speeds using a wired ethernet connection are unusual on FTTP it generally works at the expected speed or not at all. Of course on WiFi anything can happen.😊

simonp2
Hooked

Thanks, I'll try that again and see what happens. Realistically though it's the wireless speeds that are important as i don't connect via wired day to day and one of our laptops only connects via wifi. Appreciate speeds can differ with wireless but when i'm sat next to the router and getting 8mb when I'm supposed to be getting (and paying for) 80mb just isn't right.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

So are you saying your speed problems are just on wireless devices? No ISP will give you any guarantee on wireless speeds it is really down to you to find equipment that will meet your requirements. Everyone knows the Hub 1 WiFi is pretty bad, there is a thread in the router section that has been going on for over a year about problems on 5Ghz WiFi connections. I have never used ISP supplied equipment and use a higher end commercial router and wireless access point. I never seem to have the problems reported by many people on the forums.  It is reported that the BT Home Hub 6 has good WiFi and works with PlusNet but you need to get the FTTP version, this could help your speed problems.😉

simonp2
Hooked

No unfortunately not, i get less than 10mb download when i'm wired into the router and 20mb upload. I'll have to try buying a new router and if that doesn't work then it'll have to try a different ISP. Thanks for the advice...

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@simonp2 

It you're getting around 10md on a wired speed test then you do indeed have a problem which might or might not be solved by buying a higher quality router on indeed moving ISP. However if the fault is in the fibre connection then changing won't make a difference.

Have you managed to try a PPOE session as suggested previously.

Brian