Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP continual poor speed

simonp2
Hooked

FTTP continual poor speed

Hello all

I've had PN FTTP for a year or so now and initially it started with the promised 80/20 speeds so all good. Then it suddenly dropped and for the last few months the download speed has been very erratic, sometimes down to 1mb d/l. The upload speed has always remained consistent at 20mb. Maybe its coincidence that PN dropped the FTTP offer around the same time?

I've had about 5 OR engineer visits and they all say the line to the modem is super clean and fast with no issues and it must be the router. Plusnet don't have another router option for me to try and keep saying it must be the supply line and then ask another OR engineer to visit again and so it goes on.

The problems occur on both wireless and wired connections and its getting to the stage now where i'll have to choose another provider as i'm paying for the fibre service and might as well be on the basic adsl package.

This is my last hope of trying to fix the issue before moving to a new provider so if anyone has any tips or info that would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

21 REPLIES 21
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: FTTP continual poor speed

@simonp2  Welcome to the forum.

Why not go onto an auction site such as Ebay and buy an FTTP version of the BTSmarthub 6. They are both cheap and generally available.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to FTTP trial

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
simonp2
Hooked

Thanks for the reply... Plus net are adamant their router can provide the 80/20 speeds I'm paying for but unfortunately it doesn't and I've tried 3 of them with no luck. OR engineers also told me that the BT routers are locked and cannot be used on my connection. So between OR engineers and Plusnet no one has any idea why I'm not getting the speeds I'm paying for and I keep going round in circles with them...  

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

OR engineers also told me that the BT routers are locked and cannot be used on my connection

They're wrong!. They will work on a PlusNet connection, just look around the forum to see many people using them.

TBH your problem doesnt sound like a router issue anyway. Almost any router will handle 80Mb downstream on a wired connection.  Wireless is a different kettle of fish.

Your problem sounds more like network congestion, especially if the speed drop is at peak times...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

simonp2
Hooked

Thanks for the reply. Is there anything that can be done about network congestion as moving to a new ISP could mean I have the same problem?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@simonp2 

It goes to show that OR do not know that many of us quite successfully use a Smarthub 6.

You will never know if you have a router, fibre or network congestion problem unless you try swapping components out.

The router is easy. The other two pretty much impossible unless you have a second non BT  source of fibre in your street.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@simonp2 

You could check whether your problem is caused by the router (unlikely, as has been mentioned) by removing the router, connecting an ethernet cable direct from your PC to the ONT, and (using your PN login credentials) setting up a PPPoE session on the computer.

edwh
Rising Star

I feel you will need the assistance of someone like @Gandalf here. There are tales around this forum of FTTP accounts flipping back to ADSL settings and the clue to me is your upload remaining at 20MB/s. If all you had on ADSL was 1MB/s d/l then that will be all you will get on FTTP until the account is corrected.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Simon, thanks for posting and I'm sorry for the issues with your speed.

I've checked your account and I can confirm there's nothing our side restricting your speed. Your upload speed will be capped at 20mbps because you'd be provisioned on the 80/20 service as that's the highest we've offered on the FTTP trial (there are a very small number, I think 1 or 2 who may still be on 330/30 from long, long ago) and as MisterW's indicated, the router we've provided (and replaced) is more than capable of providing 80mbps download speeds.

I've tested your FTTP service but the testing doesn't give us much in the way of information apart from whether the service is working or not (the tests are passing). I've also checked the BT Wholesale equipment at the exchange and on the congestion report this week it's showing as green. This doesn't rule out any issues with Openreach infrastructure though.

To progress the fault I'm afraid that we'd need to go back down the path of arranging another engineer. Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed. In the meantime, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
simonp2
Hooked

Thanks for the reply @Gandalf The problem is that i have had 4 or more engineer visits and each time they say there's nothing wrong with the supply and its the router. Plusnet then send me a new router and nothing changes.

So while i appreciate you saying you have to arrange an engineer visit how would this be any different to the previous visits where nothing has been resolved? How would the fault be progressed any further than it has already because if there was more that could be done I assume it would have happened already?

Cheers

Simon

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@simonp2 

Not doubting your diagnosis, but did you try my suggestion at post #8 above (just to be certain it's not the router)?

How many devices have you tried via wired connections (just in case you have a faulty/incorrectly set NIC) ? 

simonp2
Hooked

The OR engineers plugged straight into the modem while they were here. I haven't tried it since but setting up a PPOE session isn't something i know anything about.

I've tried 3 different laptops wired into the router and all have given slow and fluctuating speeds. Even sat right next to the router it only gives me 8mb download on the wireless but still 20mb upload all the time... 

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@simonp2 wrote:

...  setting up a PPOE session isn't something i know anything about.

It's fairly simple to do, if you're using Windows you might like to follow the instructions in this post ...

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-To-The-Premises-trial/Fttp-activation/m-p/1455285/highlight/true...

That was using Win7, Win10 is probably similar.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@simonp2 

Something else you could try is swapping out the Ethernet cable you're using to connect the ONT to the router.

Did the OR engineers use their own cable? (just a thought).