cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP coming to my area

strongylad28
Rising Star

Re: FTTP coming to my area

Thankyou very much for the quick turn around! I don't mind waiting 3 weeks for the install, it's taken long enough so far so what's another three weeks 😂

One last question, am I right in thinking the one hub is a rebranded HH5A? Would there be any issues in me using my existing HH?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No worries. I'm keen to resolve this for you after following this thread for so long. Smiley

One last question, am I right in thinking the one hub is a rebranded HH5A? Would there be any issues in me using my existing HH?

Essentially yes. And no, I don't see any problems with that, providing it's a fibre modem/router.

You'll need to configure it though with your account details, but this guide should help out: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
strongylad28
Rising Star

I really appreciate your help with it all! I'd be happy to give feedback on your help as soon as it's all installed.

Will my login details be the same as my ADSL ones? As I'm using the hub now and it could be a simple switch over.

I'll give the one hub a try first though if it's the same as the HH because mine is a couple of years old now
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@strongylad28

With regard to your install - if I remember correctly OR previously ran a cable to your house which is currently coiled up outside. So it would only require to be brought inside and an ONT installed.

You can see details of the PlusNet Hub One here

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/

> Setting up and using your PlusNet router

Brian

strongylad28
Rising Star

@bmc that's correct. It's all coiled up outside at the moment so fingers crossed it will be a smooth install!
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

I would image that, unless it's been checked previously, the cable run for the fibre is the most uncertain part of the install (my house had draw rope left in place by the network install team!!!). Once that's done the rest is straightforward.

The last two installs on my street have used the original telephone wire entry point so they didn't even have to drill a new access to the house. Both had their ONT installed just below the master socket so only a couple of inches of fibre is visible.

Brian

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Gandalf

Isn't a HH5 (and Hub One) a VDSL device where the modem cannot be switched off while those of us on the FTTP trial need a router (which doesn't require a modem)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
strongylad28
Rising Star

I thought this, as the ONT is effectively the modem if I am correct?
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@strongylad28

Yes the ONT is the terminator so effectively a modem. And the output from the ONT is to a router WAN connection using Cat 5 ethernet cables and not the phone signal like a VDL Device expects.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

You do not actually need a VDSL2 modem router for FTTP, the ONT is effectively the modem. The router has to have an Ethernet WAN port to connect to the ONT, the BT hubs and PlusNet Hub One have this (apart from HH6 which has a different version for FTTP)

strongylad28
Rising Star

I have the HH5, and the one hub so I'm pretty sorted for now. But something to note in the future if I decide to upgrade my router
David_Haigh
Grafter

@strongylad28 Feel a Champagne and ticker tape moment! Hope you have the beers on ice!

strongylad28
Rising Star

I'll be using a giant pair of scissors to cut a silk rope around the router come the 26th April!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Will my login details be the same as my ADSL ones?

Yep, that's right.

Isn't a HH5 (and Hub One) a VDSL device where the modem cannot be switched off while those of us on the FTTP trial need a router (which doesn't require a modem)

The Hub One works with the ONT box, as I suspect the Homehub 5 will but I can't be sure.

Feel a Champagne and ticker tape moment! Hope you have the beers on ice!

I'll break out the whiskey. Cheesy

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
David_Haigh
Grafter

@Gandalf Would of thought you already had a saw head from banging it against the OR wall!

But another victory for the PN Mino over big brother!