cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP coming to my area

David_Haigh
Grafter

Re: FTTP coming to my area

@strongylad28 does this make any sense if you walk the street? Are the houses set out in clumps or is it just one long street?

strongylad28
Rising Star

Its basically a long cul-de-sac that has a 90 degree bend in it. The houses are really only even numbers until you get to the end of the cul-de-sac and then theres the occasional odd number. The odds on the checker show as not available, but the evens are.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@strongylad28 have you tried contacting Openreach directly about it? They have an online form that members of the public can use to query fibre availability. You might have to wait for a bit and reply by email a few times but you could get some more information or possibly even get their records corrected if they're wrong.

Here's the link: https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040e0b080d

Sorry if I'm repeating advice previously given.

Rob
FxAxF
Rising Star

Hi Rob

This sounds somewhat similar to my situation (see my earlier post on this forum).

The OR line checker page shows "In Scope" for my phone number, but shows "Ultrafast accepting orders" for my postcode. Our postcodes were changed some years back by Royal Mail, and upon contacting OR by the online form you describe, they admitted that they were still using our old contact details!

Work here seems to have finished on the poles and exchange prior to January, probably in the last big push. I've been exchanging emails with a member of the OR customer facing team, but where they started out responding personally, the most recent response was with a template email Sad

Is there any pressure PlusNet can add to reviewing the availability? If you request FTTP setup using my postcode only it might work, if you try with my phone number it will probably be declined!

strongylad28
Rising Star

I have, unfortunately I just get a generic "you cant have fibre" email.

I am speaking to them on twitter however so might be able to sort something there.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi FxAxF. Should be able to, yes. Do you have a ticket open? If not, could you raise one and reply with the ref?

Rob
FxAxF
Rising Star

Thanks Rob. Ticket raised is #168271771. Full details of my address/line number enclosed! Smiley

strongylad28
Rising Star

@Anonymous is it worth me opening a ticket? Historically I was always told that nothing could be done until the OR checker said yes, but based on your last reply it looks like you may be able to sort something on your end?

strongylad28
Rising Star

Today is a momentous day!

A couple of OR engineers knocked on my door this morning and said they have had word from their bosses, bosses boss that they needed to sort this as a matter of urgency. They have ran and coiled up the fibre to my front door now! Next stage is to get the checker sorted and the engineer install should be a piece of cake.

I got both their names, and pictures of the van reg to use if I need to haha. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@strongylad28 great news Smiley  Make sure you link to this forum thread when you raise your ticket. Bear in mind it may take some time for the systems to update so we can place an order.

strongylad28
Rising Star

I most certainly will do. I will keep on the checker to get an order placed ASAP!

footloose
Dabbler

That is fantastic mate, and very unexpected! Cheesy It sure sounds like very soon you'll have a shiny new white ONT on your wall with a kevlar-coated fibre cable going into it! Do you have the grey box on the outside of your wall now, then? That's "stage 1" in the fibre provision process, "stage 2" is the internal ONT (with me they did both on the same visit - took a couple of hours). I've found that with a 200Mbit connection very rarely do I need or can use such fast speeds, except on speed checkers. The lower ping that FTTP offers over FTTC is very nice indeed for gaming though...
strongylad28
Rising Star

Nope, no grey box but the fibre is rolled up outside behind my plant pot. Still a way to go as I believe, but having them actually acknowledge that I exist and should have the service is a good day for me! They said they would be going back to their boss after and letting him know and then the checker should be updated in due time!
footloose
Dabbler

A truly incredible result, probably your dogged persistence combined with asking them in public on Twitter may have done the trick. Not heard of any other individual actually getting OR to update their systems before, they normally just fob you off and tell you to keep waiting. Great to hear that the "other" Broughton is finally being brought into the 21st century :D I guess the grey plastic box will be installed when your order gets placed, that's where the fibre is coiled up directly on your outside wall ready for running inside (I was surprised at just how much "slack" fibre they coil up in there). Be prepared for maybe 2 or 3 weeks wait to get an appointment for your install, mine got delayed by a further week later on which caused my old ADSL to get stopped too early (my old ISP could not undo that without affecting the fibre order) - so I went into panic mode and got an EE 4G box to tide me over lol. Keep us updated!
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@footloose

There's a new style of install which requires only one visit. The Distribution Point has "ports" where pre-connected cable is plugged into. The cable is then run to the premises, brought indoors and then connected to the ONT. Only one fibre optic "join" is required.

The DSL Checker will return a result which states "1 stage" or "2 stage" which tells you whether it's a old or new style install.

The following link has more detail

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2016/06/a-peek-at-the-future-world-of-openreach-fttp/

Brian