Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP coming to my area

strongylad28
Rising Star

FTTP coming to my area

Hey all, 

First post on the forum because until recently my broadband was awful and not worth looking into anything else! Anyway it turns out that Openreach were laying the fibre for FTTP near my house yesterday and today. My questions are;

I am on an ADSL package with PN, will I be able to upgrade this to FTTP mid term?

Do I need to register to take part in an FTTP trial that I have seen mentioned? If so how do I register?

This is quite a big deal for where I live as our ADSL is shocking and fibre speeds would make me a very very happy person! Does anyone use the FTTP service now and is it as good as I am hoping?

Thanks

Mike 

152 REPLIES 152
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: FTTP coming to my area

@strongylad28 wrote:
Does anyone use the FTTP service now and is it as good as I am hoping?

Yes and Yes Smiley

You will need to keep an eye on the BT availability checker for "WBC FTTP" (nb not FTTPoD)

Be warned it can take a while from the first sighting of BT cable layers to FTTP becoming available (in our case about 2 years but I think they are improving)

Once the checker says FTTP is available you should be able to sign up for the "trial" at http://trials.plus.net/

Plusnet only offer the 80/20 (which I have) or 40/2 options. If you feel the need for more speed you would have to look at moving to BT. But like you we had rubbish adsl, constant tinkering with the modem to keep the line up and the speed over 3mbps. In the 3 years since we had fttp installed we have had just one 20 minute circuit failure. 80/20 is perfectly ok for us and the connection is rock solid.

One other thing to mention - following the PN TV trials they decided not to offer the TV packages on fttp accounts. Internal systems rather than any compatibility issues I think. I was on that trial so it's probably all my fault Embarrassed So if that is a consideration it's back to BT, who do offer their TV packages over fttp.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Two identical posts released from Spam Filter and one removed from thread.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

As a matter of interest which area are you in?

You need to apply to join the trial once FTTP is available in your area. Once logged into PlusNet the following should take you to the request page.

https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?wizard_id=20

Terms & Conditions and FAQ's are also listed here. Note it may only be one visit and not two for the FTTP installation (new method of working).

Brian

strongylad28
Rising Star

I'm based in a place called New Broughton which is Wrexham way. Everywhere else around here has FTTC but as we are a new build estate we got lumped with ADSL
bmc
Hero

@beebeegee Didn't know that about FTTP and TV. That's unfortunate as I was planning on taking the TV package.

Brian

bmc
Hero

Do you know your Exchange name & Cabinet number? If not you'll find them here

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

In my area they started FTTP work about a month ago and expect to complete before the end of the year. However, FTTP work  nationally has been ramped up so much there is a shortage of cable & parts. So far they've been on my street 4 times and I think have one more visit just to get the cable in. After that they need to join the cable up to the network.

Brian

beeceegee
Pro

@Mav Thanks for sorting the multiple posts. Not sure what happened - I edited the original for a spelling mistake whereupon the post disappeared , so I did a "page back" and posted again; that also disappeared so I did a copy / paste to a new post, then gave up in confusion Crazy

bmc
Hero

@beeceegee 

Thanks to your heads up I took a close look at the PlusNet TV package. No sign anywhere that I can see that states you can't get it while on the FTTP trial.

However, it does state you need a PlusNet phone line so I would have been out of luck anyway (currently have a BT line which I plan to drop when on FTTP).

That'll teach me to pay more attention. I knew I needed a minimum speed of 15 download for the TV package but nowt else. As I was buying stuff from Amazon the other week I bought a 10m Ethernet cable for the TV service (when I got it!!!). Plan was to use it short term to connect my PC while I decided whether to go with WiFi or powerline connectors and then use it when I got the TV package. Turns out the TV package comes with a 10m cable!!!

Brian

strongylad28
Rising Star

Yeah I am Wrexham North cabinet 34. 

What is strange is that all of the buildings on my street are serviced by the same cabinet and exchange (understandably) but when I select my address from the drop down (number 32) it says "exploring options" on the openreach checker. However I select house number 2 (pretty much directly opposite) which is on the same cabinet, and its "in scope". I am hoping the checker just hasn't updated and its not a case of me being too far!

Also I checked with PN about registering early for the trial but as the journey is still in the build stage it looks like I can't do anything until it is accepting orders. Time to wait I guess!

Who knows how long Sad

beeceegee
Pro

@bmc wrote:

@beeceegee 

Thanks to your heads up I took a close look at the PlusNet TV package. No sign anywhere that I can see that states you can't get it while on the FTTP trial.

Brian

There are a few threads / posts within the TV forum, here's one https://community.plus.net/t5/TV/Youview-TV-via-fttp/m-p/1402047#M2867

I don't think anything has changed since that thread ( and PN staffer @Gandalf "liked" my original response so I'm assuming it was correct!)

Brian

bmc
Hero

@strongylad28 

My area has 4 cabinets that are incompatible with FTTC so FTTP was always going to be the solution if somebody would pay for it. When a local councillor posted that FTTP install had started I did a check on all four cabs and found the OpenReach "when can I get fibre" had changed to "In scope" with a FTTP narrative.

However, following a posting on a local message board I did further checking and it turns out about 6 streets are still showing "Exploring solutions" (must have got lucky with my first checks!!!). Anyway the local councillor assured me all streets were getting FTTP so I assume it's just the website that's not been fully updated.

When you checked house #2 does the "In scope" narrative confirm it's a FTTP install?

The Codelook website is showing "Fibre not available" for cabinet P34 but the database has not been updated since 20th July. This is the same status as my cabinet.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm 

Brian

strongylad28
Rising Star

Hi Brian

That's good to hear that the checker is sometimes off. I've posted the screen shot of the in scope address. below. Mine is just showing as exploring where as the other house is the in scope but doesn't actually say it's any further along so I'm hoping it just hasn't been updated as of yet
bmc
Hero

Out of interest have you checked houses on either side of you ie #30 & #34

The following new article details what is probably happening with the install. One thing it mentions is that OR may leaflet your area once FTTP is live as with the new method of working they can be in and out of a street without people noticing.

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2016/06/a-peek-at-the-future-world-of-openreach-fttp/

Brian

strongylad28
Rising Star

The numbering system on my street is quite an odd one, but checking the site, the closest house showing as available is number 12 which if I remember correctly is down the road towards the entrance of the estate.

Fingers crossed for some good news or a leaflet soon Smiley
strongylad28
Rising Star

So it looks like my question answered itself, openreach were outside my house today pulling the rope through my ducts ready for fibre, which is great news! Fingers crossed all goes smoothly when applying for the trail.

Is it a fairly straight forward ordering process? Is there a guarantee I will be able to get it or is it pot luck?

Also a few people on the site have been asking who actually provides FTTP for residential these days?